mystery fruit?

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
was out for a wander yesterday and found a tree with roughly cherry sized bright orange fruits on it. they smelled a bit like gooseberries when split open (smelled delicious) but i didn't know what they were so i didn't eat any. does anyone know what they are and more importantly are they edible? no pics i'm afraid

matt

marooned

Settler
Jul 25, 2010
Somerset
Yes I think maybe cherry plums....I've seen a few small yellow fruits lately

cherryplumfruit.jpg

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
At my nearest park there is three mature trees, one yellowgage, one cherryplum with uniform pale red fruits and a plum with later fruiting large dark red fruits and about ten trees of various hybrids between all three of them. All varients of sweetness colour and size. Bumper year this year, some years the lot fail. Despite me and at least 5 home brewers picking kilos of fruit each most will become wasp food by the end of the month.

Anyone in n.staffs wants some plums i can say where they are.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
been masses of cherry plums out recently, its been great to stuff my face with the reds, i think the yellowgage should be ready now too.
last year i didn't see too many, this year i cannot simply believe the amount hanging off the tree's i reckon it was that rather sunny spring we had ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE