Mystery Excavations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
Any wild boar in your area?

Not officially, although I've heard the odd rumour. I would imagine boar would have churned up the surrounding area more though? Aside from some scuffed up moss there was very little disturbance apart from the digging around the roots.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If there are voles nesting in amongst and under the roots, or bees, then foxes will sometimes grub out like that to get to them.

Should have been tracks showing though :dunno:

Thing is that once it starts scraping and grubbing, then it comes across worms, and they eat a surprising number of worms and grubs, so they just keep scrapping and digging.

cheers,
Toddy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That sure looks like pig damage to me, a solitary male explains why there's not more damage in evidence; and it looks as if he's scented something specific and went for it. I may be wrong, but we've got an awful lot of them around our way and that's very like what the solitary males leave in their wake. Usually the smell gives them away (certainly to my Springer bitch!), but the odour doesn't linger in the wet conditions we're having at the moment...............

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
Thanks for all the ideas!

Toddy - I'm pretty sure the digger(s) were after the roots themselves, it doesn't show up well in the video but most of the bark has been stripped off the larger ones, and smaller ones have been pulled out of the ground some distance from the tree.

Chris - the tree is pretty much on a ridgeline so it seems unlikely there would be enough of a flow of water to have that kind of effect.

I think I need to get a trail cam up there!

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
That looks a lot like what the muntjac have done round here. Several of them will use the same tree as an itching post and spend hours just circling it. I've also heard of larger species doing it to knock off damaged antlers. Check the bark for hairs

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That looks a lot like what the muntjac have done round here. Several of them will use the same tree as an itching post and spend hours just circling it. I've also heard of larger species doing it to knock off damaged antlers. Check the bark for hairs

Not exactly, the larger species aren't knocking off damaged antlers. Rather they're rubbing the velvet off their new antlers. all deer species here do that, but the damage to the tree isn't at the roots, it's on the trunk from the deer's knee level to his head level.

http://www.smedesphoto.com/Image Files_Gallery/11pt_Buck_Rub_399x576.jpg

http://www.wildoutdoorphotos.com/image.php?src=937

Last edited:

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
caught sight of your hand, quite small scale really. is the tree dead ? Hedgehogs are quite good miners for insects.

I'd say the disturbed area around the base of the trunk was about 1.5m - 2m in diameter, and in certain places roots have been followed out beyond this distance. Quite a lot of work for hedgehogs! The tree is still alive as far as I can tell - it's an ash surrounded by hundreds of other almost identical ones so I have no idea what the appeal of that particular tree is.

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon

There are definitely deer in the wood (pretty sure they're roe from the glimpses I've had) so I'll have a close look at the bark next time I'm up there, but I'm pretty sure the earth has been torn up rather than just worn away by an animal circling the tree. I've seen deer scratching posts in Haldon Forest and the earth tends to be worn smooth around them rather than turned over.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
It's not a thrashing post for deer guys.

That would be characterised by rubbing off of bark further up the tree. Not excavation of the roots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I'm pretty sure the digger(s) were after the roots themselves, it doesn't show up well in the video but most of the bark has been stripped off the larger ones, and smaller ones have been pulled out of the ground some distance from the tree.

just another observation. rabbits will eat the bark off trees, though usually in hard weather during hard frost and snow, they do a surprising amount of damage and sometimes kill the tree by completely ringing it with removed bark.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE