Mynydd Garnclochdy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hi all,

Just to report on a quick trip out onto the Mynydd Garnclochdy, between Blaenafon and Pontypool. Ostensibly, the idea was to test a webbing set that I picked up cheap on 'the bay' - see how comfortable it was, what I can get in the pockets, and so forth. That and walk the dog, of course.

Turns out i rather like it, despite the need to walk with my arms a little further from my sides, so as not to hit the pouches, but that's ok. Water bottles easily carried, and a lot of freedom of movement. Good alternative to a daypack, I think.

But what a lovely afternoon! No wind, ravens and buzzards overhead, loads of skylarks and pipits, the dog flushed 3 red grouse (I think there are only 2-3 pairs left on the ridge - it's the most southerly uk breeding population, I think), green tiger beetles on the path, and best of all for me, an adder. I'm 41, and before today I had never seen an adder! Lovely thing. Naturally, just as I lined up a photograph, the dog distrubed it, and it swiftly disappeared into the grass, but I don't care. I've been trying to see an adder for years, and everyone kept telling me that there are loads of them around.

It is little surprises like that that make us go outdoors, isn't it?

By the way, if anyone is in South-East Wales, the Torfaen ridge is technically part of the Brecon Beacons National Park. The walking is good, the wildlife is excellent, and despite the proximity of all the urban stuff in the valley below, it is completely silent, with hardly a soul about. It is becoming a favourite area with me.

Great day.

Ryecroft

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 26, 2007
North Shropshire
Sounds excellent, I too have never seen an adder, despite being really fortunate for wildlife in my garden (woodpeckers, pheasants, nuthatch, yellowhammer, buzzards, kestrels and hare). Sounds like a lovely area, and one I have not spent any time in, so another for the list.

Thanks for telling us.:)

Feb 19, 2011
Chelmsford
Grew up not far from here in cwmbran. Spent a lot of my youth on the myndd maenads and twmbarlwm. Above henllys. Wild camping in these areas was a real blast. Gonna take my other half for a night wild camp. Here in march leaving our darling daughter with my her grandparents

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE