Mylar bagging - simple waterproof, air tight packaging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Given that we try to preserve a lot of our own food by drying, save seeds etc., a reliable, air tight, water proof packaging material is often needed.

Today's video looks at Mylar bags. Cheap, home sealable, air tight and waterproof they are very useful indeed

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have not watch your vid ( will tonight) but just two questions: Are they reusable?
Cost compared to the normal heat sealable vacuum bags?

I use a lot of them.

You can indeed reuse them, but they are heat sealed so you lose a bit each time!

They come in a variety of thicknesses and are probably more costly than vacuum bags but also more robust. You can get gusseted versions that stand ideal for home made dried meals.

Reactions: Janne

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Which company do you recommend to buy the bags from.?
I've just dehydrated a load of frozen veg and am storing in kilner jars at present.
I like the mylar bag idea . Do they work with vacuum sealers as well as the iron?

Reactions: British Red

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
20200225_212827.jpg

Who would believe this is a large bag of sweetcorn and a large bag of mixed veg (peas carrots sweetcorn and green beans)
Now it all fits into two small kilner jars and lots more room in the freezer. No worries about power cuts either!
Only the onions to go and I have enough for many camping meals.
The mylar bags would be great as the savings on camping meals will be phenomenal. Cost so far £3.25p for the frozen veg. Less than i pre prepared mountain house meal.
Onions are still drying at the moment.
Add a stock cubes or sauce of some sort and some dried meat and I'm good to go.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I am with you when it comes to mylar, however the issue I have with it, is that I do not know if the food contained is still useable or if it has gone bad without opening the package.
I do add oxygenabsorbers as well.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
What are those?
I have heard of Oxygen thieves but not absorbers!
:)

They are the little packets that you get in things like bags of jerky that you buy from the supermarket.
They are sealed in with the food and absorb any excess oxygen left in the packet after it is sealed so that stops bacteria growing as there is no oxygen left in the packet.
Not edible!

Reactions: British Red

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Ah, those!
Have a funny story.
Son used to use his pocket money to buy himself Beef Jerky, and snack on while gaming. He was around 10 or so.
One night, we watched a movie, and he got out a new pack.
Opened it, took out the little packet, opened it and sprinkled it over the jerky.
( I never had store bought beef jerky myself at that time)

I asked him what that was. ‘Spices’ he told me.
I looked, and saw it was a white powder. I thought it was a moisture regulating sachet, a desiccant.

He is 5 inches taller than me. Maybe that chemical??
( or Post man? :). )

Until now I thought they were a desiccant.
I am now restoring a couple Zeiss WW2 era big eye bins, and wanted to use those sachets in a custom made capsule, instead of the desiccating capsules that arelong gone.
I think this tread saved me from making a huge mistake! Lots, lots of money potentially!
Many, many, MANY thanks!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
You can still get silicons sachets that reduce moisture tho I've no idea where or in what quantities you'd have to buy them in at. I save them when I buy anything with them in and store them in a small pot. They can be dried out and used again. I pop mine in a cooling oven with the door ajar or the dehydrator for an hour or so. The oxygen absorbers are single use I think. They go hard when they have been used up.
Your son was lucky not to poison himself. I hope he doesn't still do it!.
I would have taken the packet off him and thrown it away. Ingesting these chemicals can be very dangerous.
The oxygen absorbers have iron in and they work on the principle of rust. So I've read. The silicone moisture absorbers obviously have silicone so Ingesting those can lead to all sorts of nasty complications. I'll leave that to your imagination. But a indication of the problems involved is those stupid silicone breast implants that leak. Nasty!

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I was not present when he did. First time I did i stopped him. Now he knows!

What is the chemical in the Oxygen decreasing bag?

The drying crystals are made from Silica, which is used in the food industry. Harmless.
Breast augmenting cuskhons are made from a flexible Silicone outer, and filled with either Saline solution or a non setting Silicone gel.
I think chemically it is called Siloxane. We use it in Dentistry.

Silica and Siloxane are different things.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE