Mykle Hawke+T.O.P.S Hellion survival knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Jonathan and Dave, I suggest you mates count your fingers daily. Way too many sharp objects about! I like the Parangs Jonathan, that bottom one is perfect!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Video now, will do a write up in the morning.
[video=youtube;Qi6YN7_5Fiw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi6YN7_5Fiw[/video]

Also check out my son's V8 fire truck with rain weather effect look! Tre COOOOOOOOL!

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I found the Hellion is incredibly lacking when compared to the other two, even in this simple task, the grind just makes it a hacking tool rather than a slicer, and the edge along the top of the point makes any use as a draw knife very dodgy indeed, the axe and parang are of course fantastic tools, but you would expect that after such a long time in use, though when it came to slicing the feathers the hellion produced a good selection of fine to large curls in a good density, it was was as good as the other two for this, chopping was a surprise to me, this is a tool that should be use to create shelter, that would involve some degree of cutting, the edge didn't bite any where near as deep as the axe(maybe to be expected due to the weight) but the parang blew it away weighing 200g less, you could really feel the vibrations from each cut too, would be very tiring if used for long periods cutting poles for a lean-too or one man debris, the handle is let down by the finger notch, it gives a small hold area for chopping and when held using the notch it feel to wide a gap is being forced and you loose the ability to whip the blade for a good chop, I think the grind has been given to obtuse a secondary bevel which then increases the effort needed to make effective cuts, in a knife designed for situations that require caloric conservation and efficiency this isn't good , next I will have a play with smaller tasks compared against small er knifes, woodies, moras and custom nessy,

Cheers Southey!

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I think its the lack of any weight over the tip, the shape of the blade would suggest that it might be weight well forward of the handle but its balanced just infront of the nail knick, it doesn't give it enough grunt to follow through with any chop,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE