My WS Micrate Woodlore arrived

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Ok, call me weak, but last week I ordered a micarta version of the Woodlore knife from 'the source'. I am very fond of my original original alan wood version, but as I wrote in a review, the scales did not quite fit me and this prevented me from taking this expensive knife with me on trips.

I originally planned to change the scales of the Alan Wood version to correct this, but kinda feared the lynch crowd ;) Seriously, this knife is probably worth a lot more in its original condition.

Some time ago, I got to handle a ws micarta version from a friend and noticed that the handles were a bit longer and a tad thicker. It is always a bit of a gamble, but decided to order one to see how it worked out. If it were not to turn out as expected, I could always rescale this WS production version.

I was not dissapointed. This looks and feels like a great knife. The beautiful (ebony-like) micarta scales are indeed better suited for my hands, the grind lines are just perfect and even overall. The only thing: a tiny grinding burr at the tip, and a few strokes on sandpaper took care of that.

What I also like is that the WS versions of this knife are made a bit thinner (3.6mm vs 4 mm) and have a brushed finish. In overall workmanship, I can see no noticable difference between the original AW version and this one.

I am off to the mountain cabin in two weeks and will post some pictures of the WS Woodlore in action. Looks like I found my new favorite hard-use knife.

-Emile

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Congratulations. I've had mine a good while now and both knife and sheath have worn well despite hard use.

Even at 3.6mm it is still thicker than most Scandinavian knives. I can't imagine needing it any thicker.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
The additional 0.4 mm on the AW Woodlore makes it a really thick blade. I think that 3.6 mm is the right compromise of strength vs. versatility. As Doc says, I can't imagine needing thicker for bushcraft (although I do have a Busse that is 1/4 inch thick :naughty: )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE