My version of a blow pipe for the stove/ main fire!

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
Hello Everyone,
I kindly received a few pieces of copper tubing from Bryan my GOODMAN, aka>> Hireath,
so i decided to go ahead and make my own Blow pipe. Very light indeed.!
The tube is 10" long and the skewers is 8" inches long, so i decided to add a D _. ring to one of the end's bit for attaching it to my Bag / or on my belt, and also added a piece of Black Duck Tape for comfort from the cold and heat transfer from the fire.

Here are a few pictures and dont asked me the size of the tube as i dont know it must be the very small copper tubing out there!

BIG THANK YOU TO BRYAN.

ANY constructive criticism would be appreciated!

blowpipe001.jpg

blowpipe002.jpg

blowpipe003.jpg

blowpipe004.jpg

blowpipe005.jpg

Regards

the interceptor boy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Instead of blowing straight on the fire and singheing your eyebrows, the pipe lets you stay back from the fire and also concentrates your puff like a pair of bellows.

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
Hence the tape. It won't get red hot but they do get warm in use.

The first post says that what the tape is for !
I was asking if there is a reason for using copper over wood ?

I was thinking of making one from an elder branch with the pith removed but having never seen one thought I would ask

sorry if you thought it was a stupid question, I always believe its better to ask and learn rather than stay ignorant

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Not stupid at all. Elder would work perfectly well, but may end up being consumed over time as it may well burn. Saying that, you'd just collect another piece of elder and be away again, so if you wanted to go that way then there is no trouble at all. Mine is aluminium, as is the majority of users who have them. Copper may be a tad heavier, but the effect is the same at the end of the day. there aren't any rules or right and wrong ways to do things in this hobby of ours. if the end effect is the same, then it's fair game as far as I am concerned. Show us a picture of your elder blow poker if you do get one made, the good thing about elder is you could possibly carve some relief into the wood work and make it look a bit nicer.

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
There's a bit more info here

Nothing at all wrong with elder. Some of use were making them at the last Midlands meet.

A metal pipe can be used as a poker as well as a blow pipe though.

Thanks but the link just takes me to the main forum, not sure if this was a hint LOL :)

Not stupid at all. Elder would work perfectly well, but may end up being consumed over time as it may well burn. Saying that, you'd just collect another piece of elder and be away again, so if you wanted to go that way then there is no trouble at all. Mine is aluminium, as is the majority of users who have them. Copper may be a tad heavier, but the effect is the same at the end of the day. there aren't any rules or right and wrong ways to do things in this hobby of ours. if the end effect is the same, then it's fair game as far as I am concerned. Show us a picture of your elder blow poker if you do get one made, the good thing about elder is you could possibly carve some relief into the wood work and make it look a bit nicer.

Cool I will have a go at making one, not sure how the relief will turn out as I have never done it before, but if you dont try ......

will post when done.

Cheers all

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Perhaps a bit of bamboo?

Oh, it's called a tuyere (pron: twe-yar) BTW (I think it's French for "pipe"), but blacksmiths dont fuss about the pron, they just call em a tweeyer.

Wouldn't last long though. The temperature at the heart of a fire will be pretty high, especially with a tweeyer in there.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
The pipe in the photos is 10mm same as used in domestic heating systems, was trying to get 8mm but none lying around on site, With the price of scrap copper the plumbers dont tend to leave any pieces lying around now !

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Another really useful tip along these lines that I learned quite recently was to blow through a knife lanyard hole... if you have one you don't use, give it a go next time.

If you use your lanyard hole for a lanyard, it doesn't really work though.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
If you only put it in the fire when blowing, and blow hard, it shouldn't get too hot. I use a copper pipe of about 20mm when running my furnace, with a hair dryer. It is always cold enough to touch even after being left in the coals for an hour.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE