My version of a blow pipe for the stove/ main fire!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
If you only put it in the fire when blowing, and blow hard, it shouldn't get too hot. I use a copper pipe of about 20mm when running my furnace, with a hair dryer. It is always cold enough to touch even after being left in the coals for an hour.

You can't just say something like that and not tell us more - what kind of furnace, did you make it and what do you use your furnace for, etc

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
You can't just say something like that and not tell us more - what kind of furnace, did you make it and what do you use your furnace for, etc

It's a bucket shaped furnace. Basically I used a bucket as a mould, reinforced it with wire and covered in a mix of sand, bentoite clay(cat litter), vermecillite (I think that's what it's called, very low density white pebbles used in gardening), and cement, mixed with water to a paste. I did make it. A newer model I think needs built, it's beginning to show signs of wear.

I use it mostly for casting things, mainly aluminium. It does lead pretty instantly too. I have forged steel with it very effectively, although I did try it with copper once but it melted it far too fast to be usable.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Do you have fuel inside (what fuel) and a kind of crucible on top, over a hole, or... need more info :eek:

I made a furnace when I was about ten (30 years ago – jeeze) with a massive chimney I could get 10’ flames out of the top – it was fab!

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Yeah, I use charcoal in in, occasionally coal. Air intake is a hole near the bottom with a hair dryer. It roars in use. I have a lid made of the same concrete mixture. I have a small exhaust hole in the lid, a small orange carbon monoxide flame shoots out the top, and inside it looks as bright as looking at the sun. It dazzles you. Sparks shoot out the top, but their is no smoke at all, even when burning coal or wood.

I put the crucible inside the furnace, with the lid on top of it.

Unfortunately I have no camera, but if a friend with a camera comes round I will get some pictures.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
The crucible at first was an old tin can, very flimsy and easy to punch hoes through. Now, I use a small stainless steel pan which works well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE