My trip to Everest Base Camp for Sue Ryder Care - PIC HEAVY!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
All,

Here are a few pics of my trip to Mt Everest Base Camp that I undertook to riase £100,000 for Sue Ryder Care.

Prayer Rock - engraved messages to Budda
EXPORT-1664.jpg

Some amazing water pool - so clean!
EXPORT-1689.jpg

Group shot of me and boys - taken at the entrance to the national park - im on the far right
EXPORT-1748.jpg

An amazing waterfall on just off from the path
EXPORT-1739.jpg

Two porter carrying the essentials - yes that is 7 crates of Everest beer and a box of Digestives!!
EXPORT-1723.jpg

One of the many mountains that I cant remember the name of - no its not Everest!
EXPORT-1855.jpg

A glacial river that was almost a jade colour, not the best photo, but best I could do without full blow out.
EXPORT-1947.jpg

More prayer stones, see how they cut away the rock to leave the symbols embossed? Now look at the first image, its done in the same way!!
P1010262.JPG

The mountain range at Dingbouche - this is when we arrived, about 4pm.
P1010287.JPG

Same mountains but an hour later!
P1010345.JPG

Early start from Dingbouche to make it to Loubouche (10km and 1.3 km up away) - tents are already down so an alfresco breakfast fo us at -6c!
P1010349.JPG

Me and the group! - Im far right again - an no I didnt mug Dumbledor for his hat!

EXPORT-2195%20%5B1024x768%5D.jpg

Plaque to a sick Sherpa - check out his records at the bottom!
P1010411.JPG

Everest and some prayer flags
P1010413.JPG

A Yak
P1010426.JPG

Our campsite in from of Everest
P1010427.JPG

The valley on the way to base camp
EXPORT-2300.jpg

The sign at the only split in the path on the way to base camp (yes thats me.
P1010447.JPG

IVE ARRIVED!!! Me at the entrance to base camp - not alot there as people whoare summitting have gone home

P1010460.JPG

These are just a few, there are more at www.galacoraleveresttrek.co.uk

I'll be putting up my favs on Flickr soon as well, so more to follow.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
unbelievable views mate, what was it like waken up ti that in the morning mate
it must have been mind blowin... amazing photo's bud

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
amazing photos im very envious. good to see they have the essentials covered can you get everest beer here ?

What are the details where did you start your journey, how many days, miles, and meters up did you cover, and was altitude sickness a factor :)

if you where to do it again whats your #1 tip ?

a very inquisitive stoo :)

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I was in a rush to get my train. Ill do a full post soon or check blog link at the top, which i qctually wrote on the way round via sat link.

Promise more and even better pic to come!

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Thanks Lamper!!!!

Fantastic pics. The whole thing looks amazing.

I'm going in just over two weeks and very, very, VERY excited right now. I bet getting to base camp felt fantastic.

Oooh I can hardly wait....

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Walks with Dogs:

You will have the most amazing time.

You asked for any tips in your PM, as did Stoo....

1) Shouldn't have to say this, but make sure your boots are well worn in, and you have the best socks you can afford - I use bridgedale Edurance trekkers - can back without a single blister

2) Wear your treking kit to Kathmandu (including boots) - in the event they loose your bag (unlikely but be a scout and be prepared) you will still have what you need!

3) You need less kit than you think - I couldn't be bothered to change every day - i did wash, but you're gonna stint - get used to it! Plus people are always swappign kit.

4) CHOCOLATE! - TAKE LOADS! I hate mars bars here, but on the hills I couldnt get enough of them - I also saw some pay £6.50 for a twix that was 3 months out of date - he was happy though!

5) Layers - Personally I wasnt cold and didnt need my down jacket - some of my team did. What I will say is its cold when you get up, but once the sun if over the mountains it get warm quickly! Take a wide brimmed hat and at least SF30 - the UV at that height is stong!

6) Camera - Get, take, and carry the best camera and kit you can. You wont regret it!

7) Weight - There is a 15kg wieght limit on the flight to Lukla - that said they never weighed me, and to get some stuff back I wore 4 layers on the plane on the way back to Kathmandu.

8) Namche Bazar - Its a town on the hills - amazing place where you can get bascially any camping gear for silly prices. Bought a Gortex NF summit series jacket for £20 - I know its waterproof as have been out in the recent rains - ANYTHING YOU BUY CHECK THE ZIPS!! - HAGGLE!

9) Tips - not sure how you have your trip planned, but if you have Sherpa/Porter team you will need to tip them on the way out - we were told $120 per trekker goes into the pot, could be different, but be prepared - they will earn it and more, trust me on this!

10) Keep an open mind and HAVE FUN! - Kathmandu and the trail can be a culture shock, but its very safe, and except for watching out for pick pockets (like anywhere) dont be afraid to wonder away from the western areas and explore!

STOO
------------------
My number 1 tip - for me - would be to take much less and buy anything I forgot at Namche Bazar. That said if it is your first time out, I wouldn't tell you not to take anything, but I personally now know what I didn't use.

My number 1 tip - for everyone else - Hmm... dont have 1 tip, but I suppose Number 10 would be the main one. All the others things should told to you by your trek leader or are things about training (plenty on the net about that). I say #10 because once you start talking to the Sherpa, trek leaders, locals, tea house owners etc, you learn so many great things.

Last edited:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Was there myself exactly 2 years ago. Had planned to be back just now, but a wee girl got in the way (Beth, 2 months old now).

I echo all the tips, although I did use my down jacket on a couple of evenings near Base Camp.

The photos are great and bring back so many memories... I too would go back in a heart beat.

Did you climb Kala Patar? I never made it to base camp itself, was knackered by the time I got to Gorak Shep. I decided to have a wee rest then climb Kala Patar instead and got some amazing pics.

Walkswithdogs- Have an amazing time and tell all on your return.
ATB

KP

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
We walked Lubouche to Gorak Shep - dumpped fleeces etc from the cold morning start, then carried on the EBC. Did the picture thing, then back to Gorak Shep.

Had a really early dinner that night and then 6 of us got up at 4am to do Kala Patar - Sun rise over Everest is AMAZING!! Photos to come.....

Up Kala Patar in 2 hours, down in 1 - so back at 7am for breakfast with the rest of the team (we only had tea and biscuits before) - then walked to Pheriche (15km) - HARDCORE!

Again, if you plan on going back call me!!

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Walking with dogs:

two last things...

1) get a "buff" about £12 but very handy scarf/mask/head band/crevat (joking). When the wind is in your face, they great to stop soreness and dust.

2) take some berroca - water soluble orange vitamin C tabs. Water is boiled there and can taste metalic and boring after a period. Just give you some tase amd a good vit c boost

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE