My trip out 28th - 31st October 2006, 9 pics.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I had a bit of a decent trip out this weekend, as I am on stand down at the moment I could go out bushcrafting for a fair few days. It gets me away from the wife and kids too!! I packed my kit up, and Jamie and myself got dropped off near our secret bushcrafting area. We wouldn't see a soul until the last day when we left!

We had dropped off a jerrycan of water in advance as we knew there wasn't a decent water source in the area. We still had water left at the end and that is still cached on the area for our next day trip. The first day we decided to construct a debris shelter, but we didn't stick strictly to the normal design. As you can see, we started off in the normal way but we changed our minds halfway through and put more rafters on and thatched the lot.

HPIM2542.jpg

We decided to leave the head end open, and thatched all of the rest of the shelter, which left us enough room to get in, but our kit stayed outside. Next time it will be bigger, but it was a first attempt and we learnt some good valuable lessons. It rained during the night and we stayed warm and relatively dry, I think we scrimped on the shelter roof near the foot end a bit! In fact, it was to be our warmest night and we didn't use a fire!

HPIM2572.jpg

Just to the left of the opening in this picture is a big beech with a full compliment of green leaves. I think it helped us significantly during the rain!

Each meal we had bar breakfast was helped along with fungi found in and around the area we were in and was a trend that continued for the whole trip. We found Parasols, Boletes and puffballs, and they certainly make a good meal more enjoyable. We also saw stink horns and an unidentified specimen, I hope somebody can tell me what it is! Of course, we only ate what could be ID'd 100%.

HPIM2553.jpg

A few Boletes!

HPIM2557.jpg

Stinkhorn.

HPIM2574.jpg

ID me please!

During the trip I decided it would be a good opportunity to try out the Nova Plus that my wife bought me, but in the end I only used it to boil water and to simmer a bit of food which had cooled down.

HPIM2555.jpg

The simmer worked just fine, and the cooker on the whole is fantastic, but I had a few problems with it. When the cooker has been used previously, there seems to be a slight problem with the cleaning needle internally. It tends to jam in the jet and this makes lighting the stove quite difficult. Obviously, once you are aware of this problem, it ceases to be a problem as you are prepared for it but it caused a few moments of dread until I figured it out!!

HPIM2556.jpg

Simmering away!

We also had a few problems with our fire, the damp wood tended to produce a lot of smoke that was quite acrid, but once we got wood dried out we didn't have any problems and we relished the chance to cook over a good bed of embers. A bit of flame was nice too!!

HPIM2570.jpg

This picture is untouched, the billy can is red as Jamie took a picture at the same time and his camera emits a red light to focus. I like this picture so included it as you can almost feel the warmth of the fire!

The second night we spent in the Hex 3 to try and get a feel for how well it would cope in wind and rain. Apart from the boar that woke Jamie up and had him gripping his GB Hunters axe ready for action, it was a quiet night indeed. Without the insulation of the leaf litter above us though, I felt very cold and had quite a rough nights sleep. I was in a Softie 6, maybe I should consider a warmer bag at this time of year!!

Night three was a basha night, and we decided on a long log fire to keep us a bit warmer aswell. In an effort to stave the cold off, I slipped into my issued Softie suit trousers, but I was way too hot with the fire raging near our heads. The heat of the fire almost knocked me out, I slept very well and woke the next morning fully refreshed. The only problem that night was the unknown creature that found a glass bottle or two, the sudden clinking noise making the hairs on the back of our necks stand on end, and Jamie was gripping his GB Hunters axe again!

We stayed in a small area, maybe not even a square kilometre, and did some foraging and walking during the day. We saw woodpeckers landing in trees above us, but they were startled and quickly dissapeared, and a wood eagle flew stright past our camp which was a fantastic sight. I also saw two Roe deer jumping off into the woods flashing their white tails at us, but Jamie was looking the wrong way and unfortunately missed them. It was a bit strange as I thought they were solitary animals.

And finally, this was what we woke up to on the day after our night in the debris shelter. The rain had gone and the sun was shining. We went for a walk before breakfast and came back with a few parasols, it was a fantastic morning!!

HPIM2552.jpg

Reactions: Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Great stuff, great pictures. With the Nova, the magnetic tool will leave the needle jammed until you sort of "wave" the tool under the burner a couple of times. If jammed it will stay that way until you free it, even in transit, is that what happeded with the Plus ?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Pretty much so, I had a nightmare lighting it and remembered the magnet tool. I waved it underneath and it roared into life. Also, a shake of the burner unit will do the same thing, just ensure the burner isn't too hot!!

One other thing I found was that the burner unit keeps coming loose from the burner frame which houises the legs. It is easily remedied by pinching the bolt up underneath with the magnet tool again, which is like one of those spanners for bikes, it is just a bit of a pain to have to keep doing it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just excellent guys :D The photos really are so good too; they really do give the tale life. Looks like a brilliant bit of wood you've found there too.

atb,
Toddy

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Thanks for sharing your excelent pictures Spamel and looks a nice comfortable place. Sounds like you had an interesting time too. My son is excited about the shelter as he had a go making one in the summer.

Torjusg, the UK had similar with Oak being felled for revetment work during WW 1 & 2. There is a woodland near me called Oaken Grove. There were no Oak in it up untill 1960! They were all taken for the war effort.
It has since been replanted in three hits over 30 years. 90 percent Oak. Just got to keep the squirells out!

Cheers from Swyn.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Sounds like a fantastic time. I love reading about trips like this when I'm stuck in the city or something.

Just thinking to ID that mushroom a picture of the cap is probably needed.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
spamel said:
One other thing I found was that the burner unit keeps coming loose from the burner frame which houises the legs. It is easily remedied by pinching the bolt up underneath with the magnet tool again, which is like one of those spanners for bikes, it is just a bit of a pain to have to keep doing it.

There should be a spring washer in there mate to stop that happening.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Great pics Spamel. can't beat a few days out....

The white fungi.....could be a Destroying Angel Amanita virosa, as it's pure white with a veil.....But I can't be sure...

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
looks like you had a great time spamel
i see you decided to stick the pictures up even with your connection problems, how long did it take you this time ?
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Cheers Stovie, those particular pictures are pretty naff unfortunately! They didn't take too long to upload Leon, I got a decent connection and they were no trouble. Hopefully it will stay like that for a while!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE