My thoughts on saws for bushcraft

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They arent great tbh. The take down capability is attractive but the bracing stops it cutting thick logs, the hacksaw blades have a dimple to make them work. A Laplander is lighter, the same price and a better saw.

Jun 20, 2012
Canada
I think bang for the buck, the Bahcos are hard to beat. I have one that isn't a laplander, but the tooth pattern seems to be similar. It was CDN$18 & worth every penny. I have a silky pocketboy 170 now & it does cut faster. I do find myself being more gentle with it, though. All the stories about blades kinking & snapping have made me wary.

The story about the lanyard catching on something & leading to a laceration is worrisome. I may remove those from all my saws.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
As the silky breaks, does that mean the silky has a thinner blade? A thinner blade will be faster obviously.

I just take a bow saw blade and bend some greenwood for aframe. The reasons are its very easily transported and light, but is highly highly capable of dealing with wood quickly and easily.

If I was in the market for a fixed quick saw I think I would go for this, it's long, thin and light.

http://extranet.snaeurope.com/picture.aspx?filename=sht_pc-12-com_wo_c
A bacho compass saw

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
At the moment I am using a Wilko folding saw, because it is cheap and I needed one. I don't have anything to compare it with apart from my SAK which is obviously for much smaller jobs. The Wilko may well take longer than something more expensive, or indeed bigger, but I'm not to fussed about it at the moment.

Some of the cheap saws work quite well. At the moment I have a Aldi folding saw, It works grate and I think I paid about £3.99 for it two years ago. Its done quite a bit of work too and its still going strong.

I have a fixed wilko saw too. I don't use it much, It lives in the shed but it cuts well and for the price its well worth having it as a spare or to use on bigger Job's

I also have a Laplander too, They are just grate and I can see why so many people love them. I use mine when out and about.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a Laplander that is my "Go To" field saw and an Aldi Bow-saw for big jobs.
I give my students Aldi folding saws as they are cheap and work well.
I have made Buck saws in the field from Bow-saw blades and from wire saws.
I still rely on my Laplander :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE