My Self Made Wood Burner :) ( 10 Pictures)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi Folks,

Well after asking lots (and i mean lots) of questions here and there, I finally started to make my wood burner.

The first thing I did was draw up some initial plans, unfortunately they have since been misplaced so I dont have a picture of them :( so I'll just skip straight to the good stuff. I decided I was going make it a simple 270mm square box, making sure to leave a hole in one of the panes with a ø75mm for the chimney. Once I had done this and welded all the sides together I also welded some 6mm plates to the top to act both as strengthening for the top face and also as a hot plate. I then welded on a piece on the top that would help keep the door in line. and also welded a piece of pip 75 diameter and about 100mm in length to act as a brace for the chimney so that it can be removed when not in use.

This is where I was at:

picture002lu.jpg

the next thing I did was begin to make the door, First of all I wanted to make a hinge, to do this I got a piece of ø15mm silver steel tubing and ø12mm rod. I cut the tube into 4 individual sections and filed them flush. (if numbered 1-4) i welded 1 and 3 to the right side of the hinge and 2 and 4 to the left side, thus creating my hinge.

picture008ni.jpg

after that, I made the door, I cut it 50mm longer than it actually needed to be so that I could fold it over on the right hand side to 90 degrees this would help form my lock later. I also cut out a centre hole and drilled 8 holes along a PCD of about 80mm and then cut a disc out that was 100mm diameter and placed another 8 holes along the same PCD. After adding a small handle and putting a bolt through both, i had myself an improvised ventilation system.

picture006zw.jpg

picture009w.jpg

the next stage was easy and took no time at all, I found a scrap piece of stainless steel tube with a Ø85mm which fits over the top of my previous piece perfectly. I cut it at 22.5 degrees turned it round and then welded it back together so that it shot off at 45 degrees. Done :)

picture003es.jpg

The Final touches were to make an ash pan, to 1) reinforce the bottom to prevent it burning through and 2) obviously make it easier to clean. This was really easy as I just used the same process I used to make the initial box but took 5mm off all the dimensions and added a handle on one side.

picture004yz.jpg

the next step was to add removable legs, to do this I drilled 4 holes the same size as the bolts I was using and put the bolts in and tac welded them to the bottom so that the top of the bolt was on the inside of my stove (these also acted as a way to raised the ashpan slightly off the bottom face) I then welded the corresponding nut to the top of another piece of silver steel tubing 4 times. This meant that my legs would now screw on and off

picture011vx.jpg

My instructor was convinced this whole thing was going to fail but I proved him wrong! He certainly didnt think my locking idea would work, maybe I just explained it to him wrong, but to do this is simply bent a piece of 2mm steel at 45 degrees twice to make it come out slightly from the surface, welded that to the side of my stove, I then cut a notch in it 4 mm wide. This would accommodate the other part of my lock, just another piece of 2mm mild steel with hole and bolt put through it to allow it to pivot...it works a treat!

picture014pr.jpg

thanks for reading :) hope I didnt bore you to death! :d

Cheers
Bush-Craftsman

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
P.S - i know the hinge isn't lined up properly! That was due to my workmates shoddy marking out abilities! :p if you want a job doing right...etc haha

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Superb!
That should keep you warm coming winter. I hope the hinge will not jam, when heated, because it looks pretty tight.

Now fire this baby up and show it off!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
If that's 3mm sheet it will not be far short of 20kg.

its not all 3mm but I think its still aout 10-12kg with the chimney on as well and ash pan inside, not the lightest design ill admit lol but I think for a first attempt and for what I need it to do...it will suffice :)

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
That looks great bushcraftsman!!! Good job!! :) Iv been looking at them for some time now and to buy one new you'd looking at 130 quid for the fronter stove, which i can never justify due to the amount i would use it. And many a time iv looked at making one myself, but struggle with the lack of equipment i have. Dont suppose you could knock one up for me could you? ;D

Thanks for sharing!!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
looks pukka :) jus a suggestion what about a boiler jacket? ...

You have to be very careful with boilers. There are a lot of acids from the combustion and normally that all goes up the flue as vapour because everything in the fire is hot. The stove retailers will tell you that you need to keep the inside of the flue above a couple of hundred degrees C to avoid trouble from that sort of thing.

If you have a container full of water in the stove you always have relatively cold surfaces on which the acids will condense. Then they will start to eat away the steel.

A decent sized kettle will probably make you all the hot water you'll ever need, it's more flexible than a boiler and will be a lot less bother in the long run.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
That looks great bushcraftsman!!! Good job!! :) Iv been looking at them for some time now and to buy one new you'd looking at 130 quid for the fronter stove, which i can never justify due to the amount i would use it. And many a time iv looked at making one myself, but struggle with the lack of equipment i have. Dont suppose you could knock one up for me could you? ;D

Thanks for sharing!!

I know I was in your exact same position, I wanted a stove to heat my tipi and they are just far too expensive especially for someone who is only on apprentice wages! so I thought id bash one up seeing as I was ahead of schedule at work. I'd love to knock one up but I'm sure rolls royce wouldn't be too happy about me using even more of their materials haha :p What tools DO you have?

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
You have to be very careful with boilers. There are a lot of acids from the combustion and normally that all goes up the flue as vapour because everything in the fire is hot. The stove retailers will tell you that you need to keep the inside of the flue above a couple of hundred degrees C to avoid trouble from that sort of thing.

If you have a container full of water in the stove you always have relatively cold surfaces on which the acids will condense. Then they will start to eat away the steel.

A decent sized kettle will probably make you all the hot water you'll ever need, it's more flexible than a boiler and will be a lot less bother in the long run.

Yes I'm planning on putting one of those whistling kettles or even just a pan full of water on top, the 6mm plate gets nice and hot so acts as an effective hot plate

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales

A boiler jacket goes on the outside of the fire not internal, I suggested it as I assumed the woodburner was to be static, not for teepee my mistake sorry guys

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE