My Second Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
spoon2.jpg

spoon2b.jpg

The ridge on the back is for strengh and so that it is self draining (e.g. it always tips to one side or the other)

What do you think?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Beautiful work mate, really like it. Oddly I think I might have preferred it without the poker work....not that its not well done, its just such a nice spoon (and now I can't nick it).....I think the ridge is genius though

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
There is a story behind the pyro work.

Most years I go to the same Gite in Aumont, France and we always buy something for the Gite. Last year I desided I would make some thing for the gite instead of buying somethin.
So on the Sunday I went out to the wood shead and split a log and was going to carve it and some other over the holiday. That was until Monday when I had a tumble on the lawn breaking my right wrist, dislocating and cracking the elbow!

So no carving spoons :(

I have been going to this same Gite since I was a kid (about 17 years) so the owner was gutted about the acident. So I took the wood split log home with me. That was last July I now I have more or less full use of my arm I finished it for him or the Gite.

It is my first attempt at pyro work and the flower is supposed to be a stylied rose as Aumont is in the Picardie region of the Somme.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
clcuckow said:
There is a story behind the pyro work.

Most years I go to the same Gite in Aumont, France and we always buy something for the Gite. Last year I desided I would make some thing for the gite instead of buying somethin.
So on the Sunday I went out to the wood shead and split a log and was going to carve it and some other over the holiday. That was until Monday when I had a tumble on the lawn breaking my right wrist, dislocating and cracking the elbow!

So no carving spoons :(

I have been going to this same Gite since I was a kid (about 17 years) so the owner was gutted about the acident. So I took the wood split log home with me. That was last July I know I have more or less full use of my arm I finished it for him or the Gite.

It is my first attempt at pyro work and the flower is supposed to be a stylied rose as Aumont is in the Picardie region of the Somme.
Christopher,

The Rose is clearly a rose - quite Tudor I thought. Sorry to hear about your arm mate - hope nothing permanent? Sounds painful though.

Makes perfect sense now - I'd be delighted if I was the owner!

Red

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Thanks Ceeg and Red, The arm only really hurts when I put to much strain on the elbow so Archery is currently out as I am a south paw so it is my bow arm. But it looks like at the most I will have lost a few degrees of extention and the physio say that elbows take 12-18 months to fully recover.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Ow, I dont like the sound of the " to do" about yon arm!

Clearly, the indications are that its going to be as much as a pain in the proverbial, as it is to the arm.
You can bet your boots that you,ll soon be advised with allsorts of interesting nostrums .

Ceeg

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Seagull said:
Ow, I dont like the sound of the " to do" about yon arm!

Clearly, the indications are that its going to be as much as a pain in the proverbial, as it is to the arm.
You can bet your boots that you,ll soon be advised with allsorts of interesting nostrums .

Ceeg

It is a Bupa physio but I don't think I will be getting any snake oil and anyway it is on company medical :D

Marts. I will take your word or anybody else's on it being ash as I am bad at identifing woods without seeing the trees it came from.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Good point PG. Although I have carved a bit of ash before and got hardly a trace of grain, but you're right normally you get beautiful grain swirls with ash. I don't know elder too well.....so maybe that's it. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE