My second attempt at a spoon.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
This is the second thing I've made out of wood. The first attempt at a spoon was more of a test run and didn't turn out too well, but this was something I started out in the Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada and I finished off tonight.

What do you think?

Made with a helle eggen and a frosts spoon knife. Don't know what the wood is, and I've used extra virgin olive oil to seal it a bit, but might try something better when I can get something else.

It may not be the nicest smoothest finish but I'm rather pleased with my efforts :D

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
It looks great, especially so if its only your second ever! The detail on the handle is very good, Linseed oil works well by all acounts.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
So you should be pleased, particularly as its your first one it's really good, I like it :) Did the wood come from the Park? Must make myself one, yet another project on the list :D

Thanks :) I am pleased with it and it's encouraged me to do more. A nice little hobby to have, and not too expensive which makes a nice change!

The wood was from the Park, liberated from the firewood pile, one of the camp sites off Big Trout lake I think.

Spoon dimensions are about 7" long, the spoon bowl is roughly 2"ish wide and about 3" long. So it would make a nice spoon for eating with I suppose, although mine is just going to stay on display :)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Very nice effort. When you make the next one, you may find it easier to eat with if you really thin out the bowl. Carve out the inside of the bowl first so you get a decent spoonful, then work down the outside of the bowl until it is nice and thin. Ideally you should be able to see light through it when you hold it up to the sun. However, that takes loads of practice - it's worth aiming towards though.
Well done again.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE