My Polish Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

towim

Dec 5, 2007
West Wales
Well finally had the time and weather to play with my new/old polish tent.

Its a 75 and 85 year ponchos and I hope I have set it up correctly.

Didnt get it as taught as I would have liked but still very impressed.

The air temp is around 3 degrees so I though id light m trangia inside, within 5 mins the tent was very toasty, again I am very impressed.

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

My plans are to fabsil it and add some guy lines.

Cheers for looking.

Matty.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
It's inside out...:eek: Nice job though...

If you try it the other way round you get a stronger join between the two halves (one is sandwiched with the other) and it eliminates a water trap at the sleeve holes. Works either way but the way I described works better once you've sussed it.

Fabsil is one way to go, but I honestly don't think you'll need guy lines. Once it's erected tightly (let it go, boys...:rolleyes:) it's not going anywhere.

Highly recommend going to Wilkinson/Wilkos if you've got one near you and getting extending clothes poles x 3 (£2.99 each). Makes a great tripod inside and frees all the floor space up.

Hope that helps.

NLW

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Anything you like really. IPK sheets have been used a lot. I seem to recall a picnic blanket with a plastic base being used.

A builders tarp or any kind of cheap tarp from ebay would do just as well.

towim

Dec 5, 2007
West Wales
Am thinking may make a fot print out of some green tarp I have. I also have a UCO lantern on the way so look forward to a night with that!

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Just woundering what the other main items people have when usign these tents? Certain stoves perhaps?

I have found with mine, that once the Trangia is lit, to boil the kettle first thing in the morning, it really does warm the tent up a treat

towim

Dec 5, 2007
West Wales
Just got my UCO candle this mornign, soo thursday as my day off ill reset the tent and try the candle, pics will follow!

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I was going to fabsil mine last year but after a couple weekends in heavy rain I'm glad I didn't bother. Once it gets wet the fibres tighten up nicely and keep the rain out with my particular set up. Some might be more waterproof than others depending on general condition...nice little tents for one man, have fun with the mods.

towim

Dec 5, 2007
West Wales
Yeah I had read that its best to weather them first before waterproofing, I may just do that. Leave it out set up in the garden as were due rain these next few nights in the valleys.

towim

Dec 5, 2007
West Wales
Rett, gonna set the Palatka (sp?) up in the garden tomorrow and let it weather for a couple of days and then let it dry room temp, does that sound ok? see how water proof it is, if not will then waterproof it.

Plus means I can spend and hour or two tomorow night reading a boot by candle light with a glass of wine or two.

law4dkr

Jan 2, 2011
Herts/Notts
Excuse my ignorance, but is this literally two Polish army ponchos buttoned together to make a tent? If so, that's brilliant and I want one lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE