My Norway Trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Wow what a trip ,
The aim for me was a bit of solo back packing , wild camping , and sight seeing , all on the cheap by Norway standards ..
The flight was out of Birmingham to Oslo Torp airport with Ryan air ( sitting on boxes of chickens with one parachute between us ) ..
After looking at google earth I found a suitable wood right next to the airport for the first night in country , It was pissing down thank fully I didnt take the hammock combo or it would of been a grim trip having the larvu gave me a large admin area once set up .
All train tickets were booked online and megga savings can be made ,, so off to Oslo the next day left my luggage in a left luggage locker at the train station giving me all day to mince about looking at musiums and XXL the fine sports and outdoor shop thanks for the heads up Martin
More larvv than you can wave a stick at ..
1-2.jpg

Next the overnight train to Mydrel home of the famous Flambana railway with the plan to walk down the 21 km track to the base of the valley at Flam during the summer season this area is pack out of season all empty..
Mydrel is above the snow line
2-1.jpg

Moving down the trail to get below the snow line ,
3.jpg

If you wanted a drink just put out your kuksa
4.jpg

Life on the trail,
5.jpg

Soup stop ,
6.jpg

The nights set up ,
8.jpg

Scary ginger beard shot ,
7.jpg

looking back up the valley ,
9.jpg

shoots of the trail ,
10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Growler on tour
13.jpg

Last edited:

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
PA080104.jpg

Camping by the fjord at Flam ,
14.jpg

The nights could get a bit chilly
15.jpg

The view late afternoon ,
16.jpg

Thats me
17.jpg

Home
18.jpg

The evenings entertainment ,
19.jpg

meths for the trangia was hard to find in Oslo normaly petrol stations sell it but i couldnt find one that had it but a hardware store did ,
21.jpg

All camping apart from the last night was wild ,
Whether over all was dry .
KIT
I wont list it as a picture tell a thousend words but I will raise a few points .
Trangia burners arnt allowed of flights I carried a new one on the way out and emptied it plus put it on a radiator overnight to get ride of the fumes for the return .

Army artic tent boots and foot powder make sure youe feet are back in order the next day ,Fantastic .

Woolpower base layer and swandri extreme shirt rock , ventile is comfy but it sucks .

Riendeer fur is fantastic to sleep and chill out on without the puncture problems and lack of fire proofing of a thermarest .

keep you phone and ipod warm or you have no battrie life ..

Food, rations , vitals

Norway is obsenly expensive to keep the costs down I used army boil in the bag main meals , pre made up porrage/powdered milk /dryed fruit for breccy and localy brought jalsberg cheese and crisp breads for lunch during the back packing phase of the trip .

Remember if your making yourself a brew at lunch you may as well make yourself two .

Remember to pack your brew kit in the same pooch as your cook kit ..

Once I got to set up my base by the fjord I went shopping for something to make my main meal , the Norwegians seem to live on pasta and sausages .

Summary

What a fantastic trip the Norwegian people are very helpfull and seem to love camping and the outdoors in all forms .

Would I do it again ....Hmmmmmmmmmm.....YES YES YES

Twodogs

Last edited:

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Dave , Yes my knife and laplander saw went with me its no problem as long as there in you main luggage and not you hand luggage .

Tim , The tent is a Helsport veranger 4/6 and the pack is a Berghaus vulcan

Twodogs

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Looks like a great trip, I like the idea of the reindeer skin did you use a role mat aswell?
Also what was your pack weight like?

thanks for sharing.

Andy

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Hello Andy ,
I used a German army folding mat as it fits well in the pack and gives the old legs some protection .
Pack weight was to heavy really at 25kilo ( that Ryan airs limit ) but you need your comfort when it gets cold, including all the boil in the bags.

Twodogs

Great Trip Cliff.
I love Norway, and try go pretty much every other year. Going again in July '10.
Could I please ask a few things?...
1: Could you please say a little more about your Ventile experience? Which jacket etc?
2: Which Website did you use to book trains?
3: What were the temps like (day and night). Were you happy with your bag?
Cheers

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Hello John , I used the pointy one that I had off you ...
David , I used ,
http://www.nsb.no/home/
to book my trains .
The temps were low not to bad during the day but below frezzing at night , I used the US Moduler sleeping system with the three season bag and sleeped fullly clothed ( case of having to ) .
Twodogs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE