My Northstar verdict

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
After reading Martyn's great review i thought i'd like to really see what i thought of it in detail. Today i decided to try it. Without the distraction i may have been able to go into more detail... :roll:

First off, the backhand. Bearing in mind i have small hands (i think).

I carved a spoon and paid particular attention to the butt/lanyard digging into palm and being uncomfortable, i can see that it would if you have largish hands but for me it wasn't that much of a problem. The handle could do with being a bit wider, but thats just me nitpicking.

I found for all of the grips...
grips2.jpg

Picture copied from Ray Mears 'Bushcraft' Book

...featured here were absolutely fine for me. And i experienced no pain, and not really and pressure points. (if the grip pic didn't load, here's the link )

One thing the NS is great for is chopping! I forgot my billhook (well, a sorry excuse for one anyway) but the NS admirable cut wrist sixe dead standing branches with a baton no probs.

For me the NS is a woodsmans knife. Althought it doesn't really cast good sparks it performs just as i would want it to, and i did find that when casting i put so much pressure on the knife that i nicked my hand and broke my firesteel :shock:.
I think i agree with all Martyn has to say, but my opinion differs on the ergonomic side. It fits me :eek:): . If one had bigger hands, perhaps the fox river is for them. For what it is the NS is awesome, and i doubt anyone will be disappointed with it, as after all, it cuts, very, very, very, well.

I would have liked to have gone into much more detail, but i got sidetracked :wink:

Cheers.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Sounds fair enough Jake. Couple of questions though - does your knife have the thong hole in the handle or the extended tang version? Also, bearing in mind that the knife was designed as a bushcraft knife and should therefore excell at it, how did you feel the handle ergonomics compare to other knives designed specifically for bushcraft - the woodlore for example?

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi Maryn. I have the extended tang version. I have to say the woodlore does feel more comfortable, thats due to the handle being wider i think, not length.
The part which it really excelled in was slicing, very good slicer. Maybe even harder to control. The NS also keeps an awesome edge. My old WS would have lost it's edge by now, but my NS still shaves. After batoning through real dense wrist thick wood. True bushcraft!
I get what you mean though, i think the NS ws built more for me than you! You tried the foxriver?

Jake

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Martyn said:
I have yet to see a piece of razor sharp, tempered carbon steel that couldn't be hammered through wood. If you find one, let me know, that truly would be a dreadful blade. ;)
m3prz.jpg

actually they are very good
just not much use in the woodshed

:eek:):

Tant

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
yeh i think your right.. what was i thinking :?:

i could kind of imagen nice curly shavings coming out the back.. but on second thoughs... :eek:):

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
tomtom said:
yeh i think your right.. what was i thinking :?:

i could kind of imagen nice curly shavings coming out the back.. but on second thoughs... :eek:):

And I thought you were too young for a shave tomotom :lol:

R

rlinger

Nicely done pictorial. Are the spine edges of the NorthStar slightly rounded? I ask that because that would be a cause of not striking a firesteel well. Another cause is a soft spine, even though the edge could be plenty hard.

Thanks.

RL

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:slap: :twak: Martyn, im talking comparatively to the woodlore, this is a better cutter...

Roger, i think the NS does have a less angular spine.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
hi guys my fox river got here yesterday i have big hands it feels better to grip than the north star the only thing i can see different is its wider the length is the same i find that the corners on the butt are a little wide but think that could be a simple fix just needs a little sanded off which i wont do as i have no idea how to get the macarta to its nice finnish again the blade shape is nice the type off blade i prefer and it was shaving sharp out the box it looks nicer in the pouch sheath from the highland then the one it came with going out today to try it out hope this helps you out over the difference in the two

R

rlinger

Grumit,

You can sand it down especially if not much needs to be removed to get it to your liking. If you have no better means, a Dremmel with a buffing wheel saturated with buffing compound will bring your work to a high sheen. Before buffing the micarta should be hand sanded to about 600 grit or finer. You can and want to start out course and then take it down in steps to 600 grit, then buff to a high sheen. Take care not to spend much time in one spot with the Dremel. It can dig dips into the material being buffed.

RL

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jake Rollnick said:
:slap: :twak: Martyn, im talking comparatively to the woodlore, this is a better cutter...

Not in my opinion mate.

But I deliberately didn't comment on the cutting prowess of the NS in my review because it's so subjective. When you say it's a better cutter, what do you mean, better at slicing tomatoes or better at shaving wood? Perhaps its better at being hammered through a piece of wood? How do you determine it's better than the woodlore? Did you do a side by side comparison using the same wood under the same conditions? Statements like "this is a better cutter" need qualification. How is it a better cutter, why is it a better cutter and how did you determine that. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE