My Northstar verdict

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
When i had my woodlore i noticed that after serious batoning i had almost always lost its edge. Still sharp but not shaving. Yesturday i took a real dense piece of birch, batoned all the way through and i could still shave. Now i know these are not strictly scientifically accurate conditions, but i have noticed it on a number of occasions.
Im talking wood. It takes less effort (IMO IIRC!) to *push cut* through wood. ie feathersticks. The problem i had was i either went too deep with the feather sticks or too shallow, something which the Woodlore is better at for some reason.
Obviously the NS isn't better at cutting everything and in every condition as i haven't tried it in every condition i tried the woodlore in. For instance, i found the woodlore easier to carve delicate objects than i do the NS.

There is one thing though. When i lost my woodlore i wasn't properly finishing off a blade, there was not much stropping or fine sharpening. This may have left me with a sharp knife but a weaker edge. This may also have something to do with it (i just realised).

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Jake Rollnick said:
It takes less effort (IMO IIRC!) to *push cut* through wood. ie feathersticks.

Jake Rollnick said:
There is one thing though. When i lost my woodlore i wasn't properly finishing off a blade, there was not much stropping or fine sharpening. This may have left me with a sharp knife but a weaker edge. This may also have something to do with it (i just realised).

Do you think these 2 statements might be related?
It's been said before, by people more knowledgeable than I, that a polished edge will push cut better.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Possibly, i only realised that just as i wrote it. But then again i can't remember the true state of the blade. usually finished on 6000, but it wasn't as sharp as my NS on a starkie.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE