My "No Knife" Firesteel Set

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I really like this. It's simple and multi-purpose. My first thought though was that it is still going too be seen as a "bladed article" :bluThinki

Z

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Good point and one I've mulled over.:D

Honest answer is: I've no idea.;)

However,unless you actually snap it, sharpen it or poke someone in the eye with it, its just a fire lighting tool, in a firelighting kit.

It has no sharp edges, just square ones, it's rounded so no pointy bits.

Context is important here, as is common sense, the same as with a knife. You have to ask yourself; " Why have I got this on my belt?" if you can't come up with an answer that is valid, then it goes in your pocket or better still, your bag.

Ultimately; the legality issues are debatable and not something I can answer I'm afraid. I'd say; you have a far better chance of convincing a copper that this is pretty much harmless, than any knife, including a pen knife.

The main motivation behind this "project" is to reduce the risk of injury when lighting a fire with a firesteel and I hope it covers that side of things quite well.

Mind you, the "blades" make cracking blanks for small carving knives and leather working tools:cool:

cheers

Steve

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Thanks for showing this. I really like the idea and think it would give my little ones a more hands off approach to tinder prep. I wouldn't say I was a 'cotton wool' type parent as I don't believe in that approach at all, but must admit when the kids are using sharps the phrase long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs springs to mind.:D (sharpens my focus anyway)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE