my nipper jacks new toy...........

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
last weekend i attended a Bushcraft meet at a local woodland and we did a few workshops and amongs the very clever chaps was a chap called David morning-star he seemed quite the expert on Atlatl throwing,and even showed how to make the dart using synth sinew and turkey feathers,my nipper jack was given the big spear and today i made a thrower out od hazel and an Elk tine,heres some pics:

Dave with Atlatl by fishfish_01, on Flickr

Dave with Atlatl by fishfish_01, on Flickr

jack does Atlatl throwing by fishfish_01, on Flickr

jack does Atlatl throwing by fishfish_01, on Flickr

jack thoroughly enjoys this new sport,he wants some slightly smaller spears though so i shall be making some this week.

thanks for looking.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great Fishfish, in my head I can imagine a prehistoric Jack going out with his Dad and feeling like man as he brings home his first kill for the family. A right of passage. Glad he's having fun.

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
I'm impressed that he is throwing so well considering we werent able to do any actual throwing at the event (there wasnt a safe area to do so). And I have to confess I didnt give the dart away, I sold it for a fiver which is about what the materials cost.

The next size down of dart that would be easy to make would be 3/8" or 9mm dowel, 5 feet or 1.52 long with a heavy 11/32" arrow point. You could also use garden canes although these will vary a great deal in diameter within the bundle and you will have to pick and choose the best ones and then heat straighten them. A hardwood foreshaft is a good idea with cane to take the force of impact.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE