My Night In A Cave

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Northern Summit

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 1, 2014
Scotland
www.youtube.com
Hi. I am new to the forum. I am a keen bushcrafter up here in Scotland.

I spent the night in a cave recently which I filmed for my YouTube channel. As seen here...

[video=youtube;LDiPCOD1eXU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDiPCOD1eXU[/video]

I lit a fire using cotton wool and Vaseline.

Looking forward to your comments.

Many thanks, Patrick. The Northern Summit.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Great stuff, and welcome aboard. I suppose using a cave removes the need for carrying a shelter system. It's a bit different, but that is good to see.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Wow! How many layers? That should keep you warm in the depths of winter.
Looks great.
I've done a cave sleep myself, but without a fire. Generally fires in caves are a no-no as any heat could alter the structural integrity of the rock above you; well, that's what I've been told and have never wanted to prove or disprove the theory!

Great video.

The Northern Summit

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 1, 2014
Scotland
www.youtube.com
Thanks mountainm. As I understand it I am not supposed to include links to my YouTube videos as it encourages members away from the forum. So I have been doing as asked and inserting them with the provided tools. I appreciate your help. Patrick. The Northern Summit.

The Northern Summit

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 1, 2014
Scotland
www.youtube.com
Anyway, now that a link to my video has been helpfully pasted, I will say that it is from my YouTube channel. I film my outdoor adventures every week and upload to my channel. This was recent. Glad we got there in the end! Lol. Patrick. The Northern Summit.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Generally fires in caves are a no-no ...

Apparently so.

Sad story. Although, if the lad had died of hypothermia, the lack of fire would have been blamed... In a typical hysterical reaction to this story the area has been sealed off with a 10 foot high fence so people can't be killed by the deadly rain of horror rocks.

Z

The Northern Summit

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 1, 2014
Scotland
www.youtube.com
Hi guys. Just to add... I deliberately set my fire at the mouth of the cave so any risk of smoke inhalation or heat effect on the cave structure were minimized. Safety is always my first priority. Thanks guys. . Best regards, Patrick. The Northern Summit.

Last edited by a moderator:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
That's a truly remarkable amount of insulation, you're not lying when you said you were warm enough are you :)

I'm not a big fan of caves myself (although that one looks ok) but there's a lovely rock overhang up the hill from me where I often spend the night, there's something really pleasant about sheltering under the local geography.

Cheers,

Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE