My new (to me) allotment (with pictures)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
So after over a year and a half of waiting, numerous different contacts of different allotment societies and council phone calls, I have finally secured an allotment for my wife and I to start trying to be more green and self sustainable with food. Being perfectly honest I am relatively new to the whole allotment thing, however we have been growing small items at home such as potatoes and strawberries and we now feel it's the right time to really get stuck in.

The allotment itself is about 10 minutes from our home and the site is run by an allotment society which isn't controlled by the council (however I do believe the council still have powers under some allotments act to enforce the use of said land). The allotment itself was a vacant possession as the previous owner hadn't done anything with it at all for months and despite numerous warnings finally gave the plot up and we got it. I came to a deal with the previous owner to buy everything on the allotment (that doesn't include the land) for £30 and I think I go a bargain as he just wanted rid.

The allotment comes with:
  • 2 greenhouses
  • 1 summerhouse (with sink and calor gas heating)
  • 2 polytunnels
  • hose water supply
  • 2 compost bins
  • fire bin
  • raised beds already on site
  • plenty of overgrown plants

The plan

First item on the agenda is to remove any rubbish that we don't need and take it to the tip. Then we are going to remove all the old plants, weeds and dead foliage, turn the beds over and make some running repairs to the poly tunnels and summerhouse ready for growing

I have taken some photos of it as it is now and will hopefully be able to update as time goes on to show what progress we make.

Attachments

• IMG_3397.jpg
    IMG_3397.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3396.jpg
    IMG_3396.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3395.jpg
    IMG_3395.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3393.jpg
    IMG_3393.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3394.jpg
    IMG_3394.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 71

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
All in all I think that we have done quite well to get this plot. It is 208 square meters of space and it is £25 per year for the land lease. Couple that with the fact that all the structures I now own and my £55 for this year has to be the best buy I've had in recent times.

Attachments

• IMG_3399.jpg
    IMG_3399.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3403.jpg
    IMG_3403.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3401.jpg
    IMG_3401.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3404.jpg
    IMG_3404.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3400.jpg
    IMG_3400.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 52

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The fellow who's given up the lease doesn't look like he's done anything but make a mess…..good on you getting the lot for £30 though :) even if you do need to clear up his trash.

Bit of graft and it'll soon look sound and ready to work though :D

Best of luck with it :cool:

cheers,
M

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
You have done well as I pay £100 a year for a full allotment which is through an Association although it looks like I have less weeding to do...

Attachments

• 20150207_111912.jpg
    20150207_111912.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
The fellow who's given up the lease doesn't look like he's done anything but make a mess…..good on you getting the lot for £30 though :) even if you do need to clear up his trash.

Bit of graft and it'll soon look sound and ready to work though :D

Best of luck with it :cool:

cheers,
M

From what I gather the previous owner used to work the allotment with his brother in law. The 2 sisters had a big fall out and as a result, the allotment has been left for a few months before they gave it up. I can't really argue though as for the money it's a steal, especially now that I own all the structures. It's just going to be a few weeks of strimming, weeding and turning over soil to get the beds ready and a good few fire bins burning old rubbish.

You have done well as I pay £100 a year for a full allotment which is through an Association although it looks like I have less weeding to do...

This association charge 12p per sq/mtr which is really really cheap. We were on the council waiting list and would be looking at £120+ for an equivalent plot with them without any of the structures.

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
I have just taken this on and negotiated £50 to the previous owners for the fencing they just had put in and asked to keep the shed. Like you am new to this but has been on my agenda for many years. There is a half plot at the end which I also took on with a view to use as small orchard and get some heritage apples and pears. Pet hate of mine is imported apples and pears we use to have so many amazing varieties grown right here in the UK, but sadly people want the perfect looking apples without imperfections!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks great Dan. You've got more than £1,000 of infrastructure for £30!

Not much wrong with the land, a small petrol rotovator will pay you back dividends.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
…………..with a view to use as small orchard and get some heritage apples and pears. Pet hate of mine is imported apples and pears we use to have so many amazing varieties grown right here in the UK, but sadly people want the perfect looking apples without imperfections!

I miss the different apples and pears; I really do.
Harvestman posted a thread on an Apple Day that he attended, and the photos of the apples (and pears) had me hungry :eek: :D
Thin skinned, rough skinned, sweet, tangy, mealy or crunchy, pink tinged, golden yellow or snow white, and the ones I remember from childhood actually smelled like apples and pears too :approve:

My Uncle's elderly neighbour had her apple tree cut down and grubbed out because she couldn't clear up under it properly now and too few people came to collect any apples and she couldn't use them. It was a real shame :sigh: I did suggest that a notice in the Kirk, the newsagent or the supermarket would bring folks with bags, but she wasn't keen on people she didn't know in her garden either.
Understandable, but still a shame, and that's true right across the country.
Thankfully more people are planting and growing, and more are aware of it again too.
There are a few good threads on cider making on the forum :D

M

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Looks great Dan. You've got more than £1,000 of infrastructure for £30!

Not much wrong with the land, a small petrol rotovator will pay you back dividends.

I have been looking into getting a rotovator to help turn it over once I have strimmed down all the weeds. My company has a HSS hire account so I can get one to help me get kickstarted with it before committing to buying one.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have been looking into getting a rotovator to help turn it over once I have strimmed down all the weeds. My company has a HSS hire account so I can get one to help me get kickstarted with it before committing to buying one.

It'll speed you on, just beware of splitting couch grass or bindweed. Mine gets a really good workout. You can pick them up fairly cheaply at llocal auctions. Well worth it. So is a long handled spade, digging hoe and a Canterbury fork.

Shout me if you need heritage seed :)

Red

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Beware of using a rotovator if you have any perennial weeds like couch grass and bindweed because all it will do is chop up the roots and spread them around to grow lots of new plants. It's worth taking your time and digging it over with a fork, removing all the roots you can as you go. It's a pain in the rear the first year but it saves a huge amount of work in subsequent years. Strim down areas that you haven't got around to clearing yet.

You can plant some seeds late in summer so there is no huge hurry to deal with it all at once.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Been working hard recently to get the greenhouses and ploy tunnels cleaned out. Well as of today we have two clear ploy tunnels, both of which have now been chicken manured and watered ready for planting in two weeks. I have also started planting seeds today in the greenhouse to bring the seedlings on.

f870c0cd4ddd95c376de31370249c07e.jpg

1eb596b4bad3b347f8b055efef37cb74.jpg

Poly tunnels now rid of weeds, chicken manure on and watered in.

16857d6cf269c1e6ca2518bb6b064faf.jpg

be56999cec22a28988f0dd49160e7d48.jpg

9df05bbb037c89bcf67986602b5e0771.jpg

bf1ac6768d2a36e1b3b2267225d88f12.jpg

Broad beans and sugar snap peas potted and in the greenhouse. We have also got potatoes chitting as well as parsnip, leek and onion started.

I have also done some more acquisition and modifications to the summerhouse. I bought a generator to allow me to power my electric tools and also supply electrify on demand into the summer house, which now has a wired in strip light and 4 way plug. That coupled with my wood burner and plummed in sink makes my little BOL completely OTG.

aee3bf9396580731b65ad72b86179e4f.jpg

2 stroke generator cost me £45 but does the trick and has a 6 hour continuous run time.

07b63c507a84d25fc3cc35cf66997dfc.jpg

4 way socket wired in to the summerhouse

34062232fbedf915e09bb8c6395f7414.jpg

Let there be light!

a8e41f187a84805998470f94f33f7a09.jpg

Wood burner keeping we warm on the decking today.

Last edited:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
A tad, but the strain of Parsnip seeds sewn are apparently good to be sewn Feb-Apr and then transferred over. Hoping to accelerate them into the poly tunnel. Will have to see if it works I guess

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a new one on me...never found parsnips too keen on transplanting. Probably not tried your variety :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE