My new (old) toy

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well my Mum has something that looks almost identical to the one in the following link. It is ancient and she still uses it if she needs to alter curtains or hems or anything. She has made curtains up for every family member's houses over the years and can turn her hand to anything to do with sewing really. Anyway I'm totally shocked that she could have an 1876 designed and possibly built sewing machine. Well I guess if it works, it works and there's nothing more to be said about it.

http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/singer%20improved%20family.htm

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I now have sewing machines in my recent internet searches on my work PC. Hope the IT guy doesn't look at my history or they might have the wrong idea. :D

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
sewing's for girls. fabric engineering however, that's a whole different kettle of fish!

sewing machines and axes compete for space in my house (from old treadle powered singers and jones' to ultra modern digitally controlled janomes), at the moment the axes have it on numbers but the sewing machines are definately winning in terms of ground occupied.

stuart

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As a creation John, not on you, .......as I got the all clear for discussing sewing machines, I thought the next step was talking dresses....
( I do hope y'all aint taking me seriously now)

As a creation ...I can accept the compliment! :D
Wait a minute - are you saying it did not realy look that good on me?
Flounces off....

I get great satisfaction in creating something on my sewing machines (latest count -5 various from hand cranked to computer controlled) be it a simple bag to a full blown tailored shirt (my last project was a Swannie clone from a Merino wool double bed size blanket ... bought for 50p!).
In the past I have made rucksacks, jackets, canoe bags, shorts, Nuns Habits ...even anti-abortion harnesses for sheep!
It is a rare week that I do not make something on the sewing machine - and come Panto season the machine gets a real workout!
Women make frilly things on sewing machines - Men make "gear"

Be it Fairy costumes or tarps - it is still gear!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Do you know how to make uber light bug nests for ground dwelling tarp users in Scotland in less than 2 weeks delivered?? If not then I'm coming back significantly chewed up. Left it too late to find something or make something suitable. Didn't think it would be so bad and of May but have been reliably informed the buggers are out and biting already.

Sorry but off topic.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi all...glad i came across this thread...ever since getting into leathercraft ive found many occasions where i couldve seriously done with a machine for a million reasons but i havnt got a clue where to start...

i punch every single hole individually by hand....and of course putting zips into things isnt really possible with my methods.

and when i have come across something that seems suitable like on e-**y its many hundreds of pounds and often quite old and i dont know enough about maintenance and spare parts and blah blah blah to shell out serious money.

been interesting reading thankyou....

sonni.

ps....i can crochet...erm...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE