My new Merino shirt

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Merinoshirtfromablanket.jpg

A while back I bought a doublebed sized merino wool blanket for 49p. OK - it was Day-Glo Orange but a couple of sachets of Dylon sorted that issue!
I used it as a blanket for a while but the recent cold spell convinced me I needed a good wool shirt more than a blanket....
The pattern I ghosted from an old workshirt that was due to be ragged, withsome style points from my Swanni and others from my imagination (such as the supereasy acces low slung pocket positions).
The zip was from our local market haberdashery, the buttons from my recycled buttons tin, the canvass yoke lining from something recycled...
Total cost - fabrics, dyes, zips, buttons, threads ... everything - under £10 :)
Your thoughts folk....

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I think that's a damn good job.
I can't live with zips in shirts, myself, but whatever suits you - that's one of the best things about it.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That is a very impressive bit of work there. Quite a few hours I would imagine but how great to know you are wearing something you made yourself while we are all dressed head to toe in stuff made in sweatshops in China.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nice going John - like that a lot!

A word if I may re commissions.....

Can I commission you to buy some wool blankets on my behalf? I've mentioned before about charity shops up here being full of cracked china, old video tapes and nylon based fabrics. The closest we have to woollen blankets are those "woven" from left over knitting wool, hence not ideal as the starters for any clothing projects.

ATB

Ogri the trog

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Anyone think it's a shame we are all into merino from New Zealand sheep when our own hills are covered in woolly maggots and the farmers paid barely more than the cost of shearing?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for the kind comments!
Ogri - there are so few decent blankets that I find that I need them all!
It is a constant and frustrating search ...flamin' animal charities use tem for bedding scabby domestic strays!:rolleyes:
Nagual - not even the litlest bit :)
Bilmo - I get on with them fine...as long as they are not beard traps - this one finishes at the neckline! :)
Robin - yep - lots of hours :) I have not done this much serious clothing sewing in quite a while and I was a bit rusty and not used to the machine I am using (mainly used for light fabric and most of my sewing is now leather pouches using an older and much stronger domestic machine!) so it was slow and steady!
The poor light of this time of year did not help and I often had daylight, room light and headtorch on all at the same time!
It is amazing what can be achieved with blankets and patience - Topknots stuff beats mine for looks and functionality and others have turned out some impressive garments as well:35:
Toddy - my Btec in Fashion design has paid dividends and I thank all taxpayers who funded my grant :D

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
The John (The Master) as done it again. Nice one mate, will have to see this one at the moot .

Cheers Topknot

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The John (The Master) as done it again. Nice one mate, will have to see this one at the moot .

Cheers Topknot

It will be far too warm in even a Welsh summer!
I am wearing it at the moment - sleeves rolled up - just over a T-shirt....ysterday I was wearing a lined sweater to do the same kind of work.....

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Love your shirt John, well done. I just got my first merino shirt very recently and I love it; so what is it exactly about merino wool that
makes it so different from other wool?

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Brilliant job, and I really like the colour. My first thought was about the zip as wel but looking at it again I see that it stops short at the neck. That's one of my pet hates with zips running all the way, Beards just aren't meant to be plucked.:yikes:

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Really nice work John puts my efforts to shame. I hope to see it in the flesh soon mate. Nice talking to you to night an inspiration as always.

Mark

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Really nice work John puts my efforts to shame. I hope to see it in the flesh soon mate. Nice talking to you to night an inspiration as always.

Mark

Different concept and usage!
Yours looks great for what you plan for it ....mine is just a shirt!
Oh - and as soon as we finished on the phone a had a Roast Pork dinner fit for the gods!
:)
See you under a tree soon!

rancid badger

I've been looking at new sewing machines you know.

I actually got an old, 70's vintage "Jones" machine from the tip last year, fully working order but I think I killed it, sewing polyprop webbing straps:(
It definitely doesn't work like it did anyway:confused:

Decided to wait till I get the boat situation sorted though.

cracking piece of work John:35:

atb

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE