My new Longstrider 'bushcraft' knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I commissioned a knife from Longstrider whilst at this year's Moot. Primary use is fieldcraft in cold conditions, I'm sure it will perform admirably. Blade is 4mm thick and 4 1/2 inches long.

IMG_0112.JPG

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Do you need someone to sharpen it for you? :D :D :p

Looks very nice, a bit different from the normal woodie clone. Dare I ask how much?

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
High Sabre with a micro secondary Bob? Or slight hollow grind in there?
New shape to me ( for a 'bushcraft' ) and all the better for it!
Best.
Chris.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Can I ask how thick is the handle?, from side to side not each scale.

It's a good 20mm thick

Hmmmmm Longstrider goodness. Could you take us through the design choices Mr Dude? :D

It's sized to fit my gloved hands. There is a prominent guard as it's a feature I like in a knife that gets used for tasks that require the point to be pushed into wood e.g. prepping a piece of tinder for a bow drill. I was going to go for a scandi grind but decided to stick with what I know, a high sabre with 2ndary bevel. There is a standard belt loop and also a dangler attachment too. Thickness is a compromise at 4mm, I generally prefer a thiner blade but this knife was designed as a 'do all' knife for my trips to remote areas so I went a bit thicker. 4.5 inch is as long as I need,for heavy tasks I'd use an axe

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I'm glad you're happy with it fella :)

As you told me that you wanted the handle that bit larger to make for good gripping whilst wearing mittens, I added the hole at the base of the sheath on the advice of a friend with Arctic experience. The addition of a good 'toggle' to both the handle and the sheath make it so much easier to withdraw the knife whilst wearing mittens apparently. The ones I put on are pretty crude affairs, just to show the potential really. I'm told that a 'monkeys fist' tied around a large marble, a superball, or even a golf ball can be used at the bottom of the sheath for 'mitten-use'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE