my new Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Hi folks!

I finished my new knife today!
From the drawing to finished knife.......

steel: RWL 34
hardeness: 60HRC
handle: CFK (carbon fibermat)
fingerguard and grommets: stainless steel
blade lenght: 80mm
over all size: 170mm
blade thickness: 3.5mm
grind: flat grind with secondary bevel

More information:
Time to build this knife (2 days - 12hours all in all)
sharpened to razor edge with ceramic stones, Arkansas oil stone, leather strops with diamond fluid on it for polish the edge
.........Sheath in progress

hope you like it!

cheers
Mike

Last edited:

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Sure!

I´ll make some more pics for ya! :)
Dont really know which sheath I will made for it, but this should take me a while (hopefully I´ve done one in 2 or 3 weeks).

It would be a belt sheath (thats for sure), black leather, sturdy, and with or without a firesteel holder (dont know at the moment)!

Glad ya like the knife
cheers
Mike

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
That's gorgeous!
happy0034.gif

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
thx to all for your kind words!

The sheath is still in progress and I hope to finish it on friday!
I´ll post the pics of the sheath next week!

cheers
and many thanks
Mike

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
First off, really nice. Like that a lot.

What sort of set up have you got?

Keep putting off handling three Moras because I not sure what I want, but that looks almost perfect. Kind of like the idea of putting a thumb grip on the top of the steel.

What thickness is the grommet tube?

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
I had a sand belt grinder and a lot of sanding paper as well as a drilling machine as tools.
The hardening of the blade has done a professional knife maker for me!

I dont wanna have a thumb grip - but could do one if necessary (therefore you can buy a special file) ;)

The grommet tubes I´ve done my own - they have an inner diameter of 7.8mm and an outter diameter of 10mm - I drilled a 10mm stainless steel rod in the middle with a 7.8mm driller to get the tube and after that I broke the edges with a 90° spot facer!

If you wanna know anything more about the knife or the production of it - you can also PM me or ask in this thread :)

hope this helped
cheers
Mike

Last edited:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I had a sand belt grinder and a lot of sanding paper as well as a drilling machine as tools.
The hardening of the blade has done a professional knife maker for me!

Not to much then.

I dont wanna have a thumb grip - but could do one if necessary (therefore you can bye a special file) ;)

Really like the feel on Moras so seemed to make sense.

The grommet tubes I´ve done my own - they have an inner diameter of 7.8mm and an outter diameter of 10mm - I drilled a 10mm stainless steel rod in the middle with a 7.8mm driller to get the tube and after that I broke the edges with a 90° spot facer!

Cool, so to Ebay for some 8mm tube. Been wondering what size to get for a while.

If you wanna know anything more about the knife or the production of it - you can also PM me or ask in this thread :)

Thanks!

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
A 6mm stainless steel tube is also fine, but I wanna have some bigger grommets in the handle. Dont have any 8mm at home so I take my metal rod with 10mm and drilled a 7.8mm hole in.
You only have to be carefull, the meassurements you can buy are the OUTTER diameter - so if you buy a 8mm tube the hole inside would only be 6mm......

cheers
Mike

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Hi folks!

Finished the sheath today - earlier than expected :)
It is not a perfect one, but do the job very well - snug fit, no way to cut the stitching, belt loop, stiff leather!

All in all, I´m very happy with the result (this is my 3rd sheath I´ve ever made).

Hope you like it........
cheers
Mike

a simple sheath in black for my little knife in black ;)
coated with leather balsam (leather wax) for a little bit of protection. stitched with a waxed thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE