My new edc pocket knife

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Don’t be facetious SB your better than that the point is people aren’t randomly stopped and searched, that would be illegal..."

I didn't think my humorous response was out of place.

Illegal or not, it does happen, I'm sure the powers that be would find a reason other than randomness if pressed.

In the meantime the OP should bear mrcharly's advice in mind.

"...police officers are people too and respond well to politeness and a reasonable attitude..."

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Had to go look that up, had never heard of a final warning , did you accept it? I assume you would have been required to and therefore accepted your guilt?

Warnings are brief admissions of guilt they dupe you into signing to make the day easier for them, despite the impact on your criminal record.

ALWAYS GET A LAWYER! And never accept a 'warning' because it's worse than going to court and fighting the case you'll more than likely to win (that's if it doesn't get laughed out by the cps and actually reaches court!) .

And if a copper really did screw you for taking a newly bought and boxed, priced and receipted lock knife home, then he needs to lose his job and have his fingers bent backwards by an angry crab.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I had a choice of court or accept the warning. I was younger then, around 17 at the time. I decided i did not want to go to court despite the fact i knew i was in the right. The reason being that it would have been magistrates court, magistrates are not exactly sticklers for the law and often bow to local opinion/expectation and personal opinion.

It was a gamble i was not willing to take at the time and if i am honest i think the police intended to annex me into accepting it. The magistrates here are hit and miss and they know it. Having spent a lot of time in Canterbury of late i suspect in a southern city that may be different.

Last edited:

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I do agree that the best way is to lawyer up instantly if being polite fails. That is what i should have done regardless of the outcome.

Last edited:

Lacijag1

Forager
I didn't think my humorous response was out of place.

Illegal or not, it does happen, I'm sure the powers that be would find a reason other than randomness if pressed.

In the meantime the OP should bear mrcharly's advice in mind.

If I ever met a police officer I would be as polite as possible. I just can't really see that one day I would be stopped and searched. Why would any officer randomly choose me? I am the average joe. Not to be racist or anything like that but I am not that typical black teen with hooded top.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If I ever met a police officer I would be as polite as possible. I just can't really see that one day I would be stopped and searched. Why would any officer randomly choose me? I am the average joe. Not to be racist or anything like that but I am not that typical black teen with hooded top.

I'm a 50 plus white male and I have been stopped three times, both on foot and in my car.

The on foot incident was apparently because I looked like someone they were looking for who had committed a crime close by to where I was stopped and they accepted that the SAK I was carrying was legit.

The other times I was stopped was because I had a light that was broken on my car so they had a reason to pull me up or they'd seen me drive out of a pub car park. Again the SAK I was carrying was fine.

The moral of this is just because you haven't been stopped yet doesn't mean to say you won't be in the future.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'm a 50 plus white male and I have been stopped three times, both on foot and in my car.

The on foot incident was apparently because I looked like someone they were looking for who had committed a crime close by to where I was stopped and they accepted that the SAK I was carrying was legit.

The other times I was stopped was because I had a light that was broken on my car so they had a reason to pull me up or they'd seen me drive out of a pub car park. Again the SAK I was carrying was fine.

The moral of this is just because you haven't been stopped yet doesn't mean to say you won't be in the future.

And with the knife in question, you're fine. They will just have to suck it up and pester someone else to make up their numbers.

Lacijag1

Forager
If you are going to smash the pommel (glass breaker) into something, close the blade first. I know your hand is likely to move away from rather than towards the cutting edge, but none the less, holding an open blade and making a violent movement towards an object expected to shatter is daft, you do not need the blade open to use the glass breaker.

With a closed blade I can't grab the knife that firmly. People use fixed blade knives with a glass breaker to smash things and don't cut their fingers off. That's what the finger guard is for to prevent ur fingers to slide on the blade.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I haven't handled the knife so can't comment as to using it with the blade closed. I have used glass breakers though and that strikes me as a rubbish design. I would invest in a proper glass breaker if you need one.

Have you tried it on toughened window glass? It's a lot tougher than a ceramic tile!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yeah it's a fugly knife, but still really usable. I've had one for a year or more and recently got the newer model. They do make good urban tools and do feel really secure in the hand. And despite how they 'look' they are just as safe and lawful to stuff in your pocket as a little key chain sak!

On the note of 'not sheeple' friendly, well.. produce any knife in a public place and you'll get fingered by evil eyes and all sorts of bullcrap legal 'professionals' regurgitating inaccurate laws to you.

Do you think a little "Hello Kitty" knife in pink or yellow might be seen as safe by the public :D might be worth a try.

Like the OP I live ruraly, I'm older though. I too try to be fairly innocuous and blend into the background. But things can happen, we had the G8 along the road a few years back and something like a 1000 officers drafted into the area. This meant I did get stopped - (though only after making myself known to the officers hiding in the undergrowth as they hadn't been aware of me and one of my credo's is not scaring the bejesus out of armed officers by suddenly appearing next to them). They had to go through the routine and I offered up the fact early on in the conversation that I had a legal EDK in my pocket. They were quite interested in it in a friendly way as one of them was a knife buff.
Anyway I'm wandering off topic, the crux of it is don't expect that it'll never happen to you. I've carried a knife pretty much every day for 40 odd years. I'm sensible and leave it behind if I'm going somewhere restricted and on the occasions I've been stopped my demeanour has seen me right.
But back in the G8 days a few locals had some "odd" meetings with the law. Mainly due to the fact that officers were drawn from all over the UK and were in a new environment. As one said to me "...back home they're chucking bricks at my head, up here I'm guarding a gate in the middle of nowhere and old ladies appear with trays of tea and biscuits."

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Lacijag1

Forager
I haven't handled the knife so can't comment as to using it with the blade closed. I have used glass breakers though and that strikes me as a rubbish design. I would invest in a proper glass breaker if you need one.

Have you tried it on toughened window glass? It's a lot tougher than a ceramic tile!

I did on regular window glass, same result. It worked well and all my fingers in their place:)
I haven't tried on toughened window glass.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE