My new coracle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Again, thank you for all of your kind words.

Toddy

For construction, the saplings are stuck in the ground and two are bent over against eachother. The weave is done by using a little smaller saplings with significant overlap. These saplings are pulled through from the small end until in desired position.

Did that answer you question?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
torjusg said:
Again, thank you for all of your kind words.

Toddy

For construction, the saplings are stuck in the ground and two are bent over against eachother. The weave is done by using a little smaller saplings with significant overlap. These saplings are pulled through from the small end until in desired position.

Did that answer you question?

Kind of; did you weave the heavyier, all around, rim while the framework was still in the ground? or wait until it was turned over?

My father used to build dinghies in a very similar manner, upside down with the rib frames staked into the ground.

Cheers,
Toddy

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Toddy said:
Kind of; did you weave the heavyier, all around, rim while the framework was still in the ground? or wait until it was turned over?

My father used to build dinghies in a very similar manner, upside down with the rib frames staked into the ground.

Cheers,
Toddy

The rim is comprised of the small saplings that are weaved in many layers around the heavier ones (that is the framwork). Did that come out better? :)

Did your father weave or use nails?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
torjusg said:
The rim is comprised of the small saplings that are weaved in many layers around the heavier ones (that is the framwork). Did that come out better? :)

Did your father weave or use nails?

Got you :)
Depends, Dad liked a challenge :rolleyes: one year he just used glue to prove it could be done....we were still using that dinghy aobut 10 years later too.
I've watched him make them from clinker built with phosphor bronze rivets to marine ply and dowels. He just liked building boats.
Cheers,
Toddy

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
wow what a butte. I look forward to reading the article, always fancied making one. Till recently there was a old man who used a coracle on the river severn to pick up footballs from the local teams ground (witch is by the river). It always looked like fun, they are much more maneuverable than canoes or kayaks

What are you going to do for portage attach a strap or a yoke? The coracles that are made round here generally have yokes witch double as a seat or seats that double as a yoke with a forehead strap. But I have also seen them with just a forehead strap.

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
WhichDoctor said:
wow what a butte. I look forward to reading the article, always fancied making one. Till recently there was a old man who used a coracle on the river severn to pick up footballs from the local teams ground (witch is by the river). It always looked like fun, they are much more maneuverable than canoes or kayaks

What are you going to do for portage attach a strap or a yoke? The coracles that are made round here generally have yokes witch double as a seat or seats that double as a yoke with a forehead strap. But I have also seen them with just a forehead strap.

i have heard of this bloke but never seen him. is he at bridgnorth?
chris

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Preferably there should have been a seat, but with stone tools, making that would have taken a LOOONG time. So I left that feature out, more like the North American bull boat. I think I will carry it by tying the paddle to the coracle and having it on my back, with a strap attached to it and over my chest.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
They seem really practical boats. Quicker to build than a canoe, easier to carry and they probably make a part shelter at the end of the journey too!
Check out this site coracle fishing - Maybe your next project should be the net!

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Brought the coracle down from the woods today, to keep it out of rain and away from the dogs. I will probably test it next weekend. :D

Sam

Yes, it would probably make an excellent shelter. :D As there are little salmon in my area I don't think I am going to make a salmon net. Maybe different type of net, but there are several projects higher on my priority list.

PS! I have already made a net, about 15m long and 1,5m deep. It isn't made from scratch, but commersial linen. :nono: And that is not good enough for me.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Finally got to test it today. It is extremely tippy and a little low for my taste. From what I have read on http://www.coracle-fishing.net/ it seems like it has the handeling properties of the River Severn Bowl Coracle. I don't think I dare to fish from it until the waters become a little warmer next spring. As a remedy for it's tippyness I plan on maybe temporarily building it into a raft (at least for the colder seasons).

It held water the water out completely.

Picture of the boat from the inside:
interior.JPG

Picture of me ashore. I am quite focused (read scared) here:
paddeling.JPG

Staking, it was quite a lot deeper here than I thought...:
stakingdeep.JPG

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That looks to be very well made, maybe even slightly over engineered!! I wouldn't like to be in that in the winter where you are, one false slip and you may get a wee bit cold!! :eek:

I take it the frame is willow? It looks especially strong where you have used two ribs next to each other. Good to see you got it on the water at last. :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE