My new Bushcraft Knife ( No Plywood)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
After fitting the garage out finally with a work bench etc
Ive finished a Buchcraft knife I like and hope to use for a long time

its based on Reds PFK and you may have seen the smaller version i made as a proto type

DSP3.jpg

made from 4mm stock but its only that thick under the bolster
Blade tapered to 2mm
Tang tapered to 1mm
25deg scandi grind convexed back to give an even grind hight

Handle is Walnut with maple bolsters with Alu pins and Tubes and black fibre liners
so not plywood :D but was 50p a 2ft length at the local car booty :rolleyes:
so a bit over the £5 of my last knife maybe nearer £10 :eek:

DSP1.jpg

DSP2.jpg

the little version has become a fav user round the house and garden acting as a Stanley knife leather knife and even helping make its bigger brother splitting out the handle

thanks for looking

ATB

Duncan

Edit added for comparisone to Woodlore pattern and Mora Clipper
DSP4.jpg

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
Very nice Duncan. You've put a lot of work into that blade and it certainly shows. I really like the distal tapers; they ought to make that blade really dance for you when you need it to. Well done!

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Go for Gold mate - start a small production line - you know you want to and you know we need! you to.

Nice, beautiful knife all round and look a real user. Love the black liners and tapering - think thaty looks real classy.

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
nice work Duncan i can see in your work that you or putting more effort into the finishing off proses . its nice to see some one listing to a bit of advices looking forward to your next one cheers stanley

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Got mine on order. :)

I love the Roman centurion look of the blade and bolster. very neat. I'll even do a little review of it for you all. :)

Sheath 3 went well a better application of Dye before working the cut pattern and a bit more planning :rolleyes:

and i thought i would try soem decoration . So an old Paint foam stamp and the Dark brown stain gave a paw pring followed by a bit of impressioning with a rounded bar (of my scribe block) a bit more dye with a fine paint brush to give nail marks and darken the middle of the paw marks gave a favorable start
DSP8.jpg

DSP5.jpg

(flash decided to work now :rolleyes: )
DSP6.jpg

the final job is quite good But some of the tooling in the paws pulled flat when it was wrapped round to sew and i couldnt get it to re mark
DSP7.jpg

all in all i was very pleased with it

Till i spotted the obvious mistake :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :aargh4: :newbie:

ATB

Duncan

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I am loving that little set there,
What steel did you use?
ANd can you tell us more about the bolster shape and or applications of such a shape, it looks like it would grip well in closer carving but might get a bit tired in the fingers, Does it?

I am loving that little set there,
What steel did you use?
ANd can you tell us more about the bolster shape and or applications of such a shape, it looks like it would grip well in closer carving but might get a bit tired in the fingers, Does it?

i really like the little knife ive used it lots as GP house / Garden/ workshop knife liek a stanley :eek:
I make all my stuff from 01 tool steel GFS from Cromwells as i dont have forging facilities currently and i dont have Temp controled Heat treatment equiptment for more exotic Stuff like Stainless etc

the Bolster shape is just a shape ( sorry :rolleyes: ) as ive said im using British Reds PFK as a starting point ( theres an epic thread on its design on here ) changing the profile much was difficult as its pretty perfect as it is for my use etc removing the Hump was about all i managed with out reducing its effectivness . So i also changed the Bolster profile and as i use AutoCAD Sine curves are easy and it was obvious to me as the shape to try and i really like it so it stayed .

Most of the changes in design from me are in the other plane as a blade is not a 2D profile with a grind hight . The use of thicker material ( on the full size) but tapering to thinner seemed a good idea and convexing the blade back removing the bulk gave a thinner profile with the 25 deg edge than the 20 deg 3mm flat PFK. i had to taper the tang to remove the weight as the tapered blade and a full 4mm tang was massivly back heavey now the balance is just behind the bolster and it seems to be weightless in the hand :eek: wood bolsters and Ally fittings help this the tapering and convexing plus the extra finishing more than doubles the time it takes me to get a Blank made so it better have some effect :D

the 3/4 scale is exactly that in all respects incuding the tapers tho the weight is less important being smaller . Its not a proper carving knife or any dedicated knife as with its big brother its a jack of all trades Bushcraft knife so compromises are made to give bredth of use . the scaled handle isnt going to be comfy for hours of carving etc but its suprisingly good ( i originally started 3/4scale as knife for my kids when they are older ) even in my large hands and choking up to use the tip is much safer and more comfy than using the big knives as you are still holding some handle not just razor sharp blade which on some knives is also quite heavy.

im also now playing with 7/8th scale sized as a full size knife for smaller adult bushcrafters

ATB

Duncan

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
im using British Reds PFK as a starting point ( theres an epic thread on its design on here ) changing the profile much was difficult as its pretty perfect as it is for my use etc

:eek: :eek:

That's the nicest thing I've heard in ages!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE