My life stripped away from me

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well Jon if you go with your parents and ask, they can only say one of two things - Yes or No.
Theres no harm in trying. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

ATB

Greg

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I could try making a deal or showing the land lord the things i make but i really dont think they would be interested! They are not very caring people, all they care about is themselves!

It might be an idea to show them a selection of your work by way of asking the estate manger if they ever need any casual help, pointing out your enthusiasm for such things and regard for the land, your close proximity and availability at short notice. Probably wont get an instant response but almost inevitably at somepoint they'd find some help from you useful.

Once you've helped out and built a relationship with the estate manager you might find their resonably happy to have you wonder around the land after all youll be an extra person to keep an eye on things.

Dont loose site of their point of view that at this point in time eg to them your probably just some young stranger who lives nearby and randomly wanders onto their property and therfore they are going to have some concerns.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
chin up lad!
you've inspired me to start carving as a 35 year old ape with no previous artistic leanings at all - and all in my small back yard in my terrace house in a scally-riddled corner of the Wirral - kuksa from a fence-post due to lack of readily available trees.
it's what's inside that counts mate, and you've got it in spades.
and you're only a nipper - as Red said - you're a talent who'll go far. don't let the b:censored: grind you down

ps go and see the Simpsons movie to cheer yourself up - i laughed myself inside out this afternoon

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Jon,
I have just had a look at your website for the first time ever and all I can say is WOW!!
You have more talent in the end of your little finger than I have in my entire body, and if I could create 1/2 the stuff that you have made I would be extremely proud of myself.
So don't let this setback get you down, carry on the excellent work because guys like me need the inspiration from guys like you, and I'm telling you now, you have alot to give. :You_Rock_

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Jon, thats really tough, I kinda know how you feel.
7 years ago my wife, kids and I moved from a rented 400yr old cottage in the tiny village that I was born in. We moved to a larger village on the outskirts of town. Previously I had gained enough permission to walk (and hunt and fish) just about anywhere, now I had to start from scratch.
Gradually, by working the footpaths, I got to know landowners - and now even though I don't hunt the land I can enjoy lengthy strolls off the beaten track watching badgers, deer foxes etc.
Last night I was out til 10:00 pm, lovely harvest moon and loads of wildlife all around me.
Genuine country men will always manage to get access to the places they love. Keep your chin up mate, I really hope it works out.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
All the good advice has been given, but I wanted to add my support. I was threatened with losing my beloved job this year and I can sympathize no end. It worked out for me through more political activism than I ever thought myself capable of. So I see it two ways:
Try the things suggested above, they sound good and may work.
or
Try 'getting political':AR15firin :
We could raise a petition, for all they're worth :grouphug:
Write to your local MP :yuck:
Write to your local evening news, they love this sort of story :deal:

Give it a go, as long as you know you've given it your best shot, you'll have no regrets. Whatever else happens, your talent and enthusiasm will always shine through and you'll find somewhere and somehow to put us all to shame with more of your amazing projects!

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
hang in there jon you got some real good skills and a deep love of the outdoors, i too am born and bred on an estate i've been here 29 years and now work for them. some times internal politics or someones personal mission can mess things up for people or it could be health and safety/liability related. you need to take some of your stuf/portfolio to the land agent or owners show them you are safe and trustworthy to be on there land thay might let you use a small area.:You_Rock_

O

oilyrag

If the main reason for not allowing access is concerns over H&S with the Gamekeepers operations then offer your services to the Gamekeeper. You may be able to trade some time toiling on his behalf for access to some of the land. I'm sure the cross-over of knowledge will be of mutual benefit. Brush up your 'bushcraft CV' and write a proposal, I'm sure he'll accept. It may be for reasons of insurance in which case a waiver of liability may grease the wheels. Good luck.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
This is a good idea! I think i'll make up a portfolio of my bushcraft projects. If i dont use it for this situation im sure it will come in handy at other times too.

As for helping the gamekeeper out... im not sure about that one. I dont agree with all that gamekeepers do so it would be hard for me to join them.

Hi Jon,
I feel for you mate, unfortunatly you are the latest victim of the UK's landowner based (read feudal) mentality, often summed up by
"Get Orf My land"!
Although I both shoot & fish, I will always argue the case for sensible access, i.e. everybody has a case for access & everybodies different points of view & activities should be tolerated & if possible encouraged. Unfortunately I tend to find that entrenched positions are to be found on all sides.
Perhaps the way forward may be, as has been suggested earlier in this thread, to get political. Maybe not in the "up the revolution" sense but looking at all the areas of publicly owned land in the UK i.e. land that is owned by you & me. The Forestry Commission & MOD estates spring to mind. Perhaps pressure could & should be put on these organisations to open up their land to sensible bushcraft activities, most grass & forest fires in the UK are started by a discarded cigarette & not a properly tended campfire!
Anyone want to start a new quiet revolution?
:soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:
PS Can you let us know how to find your website?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE