My latest Shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks John. I like your design rationale. I buy shirts with those weird pen slits, etc.
Mostly sit down with a scalpel and a magnifying glass and carefully cut that stuff off.
If more people had scalpels and magnifying glasses, maybe more would get pruned off?

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
John

I'm so glad you took the time to post that resumé of what is so clearly a significant part of your life. I think it goes a long way to counter some of the less helpful off-line comments I've heard about your kit reviews in recent times and, more importantly, cement your standing as a person given of awesome skills within the Bushcraft Community. That I detect a certain sadness and understandable frustration with the passing of those perhaps more life-affirming times is understandable but please take great comfort in having done such as distinct from the alternative that is a frustration born of regret in having failed to grasp 'life' and opportunity when it was there for the taking.

Your approach to the Btec syllabus brought a smile to the face and reminded me of my passion for over-engineering in leatherwork design & construction and as demonstrated admirably during my brief time at Cordwainers College in the 90's and that persists to this day!

I like everything about your shirt other than the stubby collar which if not to be reworked with a fully integrated hood; as clearly all Autumn/Winter tops should sport according to the world of Klenchblaize, then double the height as a minimum please!

All the best

K

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John

I'm so glad you took the time to post that resumé of what is so clearly a significant part of your life. I think it goes a long way to counter some of the less helpful off-line comments I've heard about your kit reviews in recent times and, more importantly, cement your standing as a person given of awesome skills within the Bushcraft Community. That I detect a certain sadness and understandable frustration with the passing of those perhaps more life-affirming times is understandable but please take great comfort in having done such as distinct from the alternative that is a frustration born of regret in having failed to grasp 'life' and opportunity when it was there for the taking.

Your approach to the Btec syllabus brought a smile to the face and reminded me of my passion for over-engineering in leatherwork design & construction and as demonstrated admirably during my brief time at Cordwainers College in the 90's and that persists to this day!

I like everything about your shirt other than the stubby collar which if not to be reworked with a fully integrated hood; as clearly all Autumn/Winter tops should sport according to the world of Klenchblaize, then double the height as a minimum please!

All the best

K

Yeah - I am a bit bit frustrated that I cannot now do a lot of what made me ME - but you have to play the cards you are dealt :)
As to the collar - this is very much a summer weight shirt - so a hood is not needed ... even if I liked hooded shirts ... which I do not :)
My summer jacket (made from the same fabric) made without the lower pockets , might fit the bill for you:)
P7230003.jpg
My autumn/winter shirts are of a similar design but with a zip opening (easier with cold fingers) and have a "fall" collar that can be raised to keep the breeze of my neck.
Merino shirt from a blanket (2014_12_26 19_57_08 UTC).jpg
This one was made from a Merino wool blanket.

northumbriman

Jul 15, 2010
Prudhoe
I got myself an old sewing machine and this has inspired me to get it out and see what I can do towards making myself some more gear. I've made a few knives and some other bits and pieces.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Question on the grandfather collar John.

I know you mentioned that the actual collar is shaped rather than just a straight cut of material so I'm guessing it's two pieces of material cut out like a shallow 'C' so it sits better.

My question is what shape do you cut out on the main body for the collar to attach to? Is it half an oval or circle on the front and back?

northumbriman

Jul 15, 2010
Prudhoe
Time is always against me. I have this idea to make a gillie blanket/poncho and every winter for the past three I've thought ok this year I'll get round to it during the dark nights...... lol one day

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Question on the grandfather collar John.

I know you mentioned that the actual collar is shaped rather than just a straight cut of material so I'm guessing it's two pieces of material cut out like a shallow 'C' so it sits better.

My question is what shape do you cut out on the main body for the collar to attach to? Is it half an oval or circle on the front and back?

Shallow half oval on the back, half circle on the front ... to fit my wide neck...
The shape has evolved over the years to give me a personal fit...
And yes - the collar is two pieces in a shallow "C" ish shape.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
My respect again :)
You are talented! I did some shortening of trousers on someone else his machine.
But one has to Be gifted with the precision and skill needed.

I love your diy topics

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
John,

also being an "odd" shape i can definitely relate to making your own gear. however my shape is long and thin (ish) at 7' tall.

i am looking into experimenting with shirts and such, do you have any recommendations for suppliers of materials such as wool (have made a blanket shirt), ventile and the down proof cotton you have here?

cheers
Tom

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John,

also being an "odd" shape i can definitely relate to making your own gear. however my shape is long and thin (ish) at 7' tall.

i am looking into experimenting with shirts and such, do you have any recommendations for suppliers of materials such as wool (have made a blanket shirt), ventile and the down proof cotton you have here?

cheers
Tom

I get my wool from Melin Teifi (www.melinteifi.com) but as I live near to it I can see what I get -and the stock varies a lot! Toddy knows a couple of good suppliers who do the re enactment fairs etc
Ventile on the roll can be had from a couple of places but is scary costly - more info from ventile.co.uk
The Down Proof Cambric I use can be had online from lots of places and even off a stall on my local market and is not too dear
Good luck and have fun!

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
damnit, i was not 10 miles from Melin Teifi just before christmas on a a job! not the sort of area you usually happen to pass though.

will have a hunt about for the cambric, sounds like good stuff to experiment with.

Many thanks for your help

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE