My latest projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
From birch, with a Mora 105 for scale. These are still green so hopefully they'll dry without any splits:)
IMG_4189_zps1cd5c5e8.jpg

IMG_4170_zpse08f609d.jpg

IMG_4187_zps925ebfc5.jpg

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Thanks everyone, it's always nice to know that I'm not the only one that likes this sort of thing:D

And I love that knife. Is that a mora mod?
Yes, I worked the handle down to better suit my hand. The Mora 105 and 106 have the same blades, it's just the handles that are different. I like the 105 because it feels more comfy to me:)

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
How did you dig it out ?

I did the biggest part with a bowl adze, then a gouge and finally a spoon knife. Although it's green, it was very, very hard to cut on the ends, both inside (and out) of course.
I can't imagine using some of the hard woods that you folks have, to me birch is hard enough. Maybe it's because our trees grow so slowly here in our cold climate, which makes the growth rings very close and tight, almost like the grain found in knots. My hands really did get a workout.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I always thought birch (not silver) was a semi hard wood anyway, somewhere between oak and sycamore. Pine from siberian tundra is very hard for the reason you stated, I have seen canadian pine trees on the tv, one century old and seven inches in circumfrence.

What is a bowl adze anyway?

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I always thought birch (not silver) was a semi hard wood anyway, somewhere between oak and sycamore. Pine from siberian tundra is very hard for the reason you stated, I have seen canadian pine trees on the tv, one century old and seven inches in circumfrence.

What is a bowl adze anyway?

Yes, it's considered a hardwood, but how it compares in hardness to other woods I have no idea.

Bowl adzes: http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&g...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=ShiIUZfQGKSCyAHm8oCwBg

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice Bowl... I am just venturing into bowl caring Hope i have as much success as you ... good work mate

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE