My larger leather bagged F&S kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Some time ago I finally finished my larger leather bag F&S kit. The bag was given to me by xxxDarksidexxx from another forum, notice the Florida fat wood toggle.

Cool fatwood toggle.

The contents:

My primary carbon steel striker is from MP knives. Heavy enough to knapp a new edge on thinner stones but still packable within the kit. Tosses a good spark as well. Backup is a WCF simple C. The O1 tosses an exceptional spark. Honestly most toss about the same however for some reason I have better luck with natural uncharred tinder using this one. Not that the MP can't do that job as well. Backup nice sharp chert stone and some jute cordage.

A candle, specially soaked tinder tube with charred end plus refill, fatwood brimstone matches to work with tinder tube or any coal without a tinder bundle, fatwood and milk weed ovum. I got the tinder tube and brimstone matches from Blackthorn USA. It replaced my lamp wick tinder tube.

Charcoth and White & Yellow birch bark.

Beyond field expedient charring methods I can char tinder using a mini Altoids tin within the larger kit. To start things off right it's packed with perfectly charred cedar bark. The tinder tube previously talked about is another means to char tinder, in that case the cotton rope. I included the ultimate weapon charred chaga. Once employed it's very very very difficult to extinguish beyond dunking in water. Some more chert as well.

That about covers it all.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice kit there, should have all eventualities covered there! Nice to hear of different tinder's used in different countries.

Is milk weed ovum from "milk thistle"? (Silybum marianum)? Just wondering if it's a different plant you're using as I often use thistle down as a spark catcher.

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Nice kit there, should have all eventualities covered there! Nice to hear of different tinder's used in different countries.

Is milk weed ovum from "milk thistle"? (Silybum marianum)? Just wondering if it's a different plant you're using as I often use thistle down as a spark catcher.

I can't make thistle work with F&S if this is the stuff you guy have as well.

But Milkweed ovum for me is a very good natural uncharred tinder that often works right out of the gathered pod.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Great post and great pics! Like the way you've 'flat packed' it all too. I meet a lot of folk who say 'why don't you just use a lighter?' But there is some real satisfaction to be had lighting a fire this way as well as the practical considerations - sustainability, reliability etc.

Have been collecting thistledown myself at every opportunity these last couple of weeks!

Cheers, T

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE