My Kuksa Kolrosing

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
After speaking to Wayland at the Middlewood meet about Kolrosing and the great results that can be had I thought I would show some pics of my Kuksa that I decorated recently.

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I just LOVE this one - really nice work, both on the kuksa and the kolrosing.

I especially like the tiny hatch marks around the lip of the kuksa. Congrats!

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Cant take the credit for the Kuksa I'm affraid that was a gift from my wife she got it from sweden, sorry folks. The decoration is my work though.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Outta curiosity did you use a kolrosing knife, or just... a knife? :p I've been wanting to give it a try but don't have a kolrosing knife....

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I just used a small chisel point carving tool, you can use a stanley or a craft knife that has a retractable blade, pencil your design out first and away you go.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thanks Alf, Traderran they are used for everything from water to whisky depends on your tipple mate.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks great Simon, Id do mine but its stained too dark.;) That my excuse anyway :D
Will give it a go on the next spoon though.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
The simple wooden cup elevated to an art form. Soar, this is so beautiful that it looks like it belongs in a museum. I have never seen a cup that I wanted so badly!

ToneWood

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Wessex
Excellent, I've been trying to figure out how to decorate like that, for a lime-wood ladle that I have all but finished. I tried cutting a thin strip of wood out for each line, as Jogge Sundqvist shows in his Swedish carving DVD, but I just couldn't get the clean cuts work using the cheap (<£5) set of Toolzone woodcarving tools I picked up a few years ago.

So, if I understand correctly, with Kolrosing you are not actually removing any wood but instead, I suppose you either compress or perhaps score it? Then rub something dark, like coffee grounds, into it afterwards. [Any chance that you could post a picture of the tool you used - or an image link of a similar looking tool?]

I love the pattern, especially the cross-hatching and the elaborate sun pattern above - v. effective. Do you pre-draw the pattern with a pencil or just free-hand it (or use a ruler)?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE