My kit so far

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Noodoo

Aug 16, 2010
Manchester
Well, I'm pretty new to the whole bushcraft thing, and have only been out a couple of times, but here are most of the things I have so far, apart from the stuff I've ordered from the DD group buy which should (hopefully) arrive at the end of the week.

IMGP0494.jpg

Pretty basic stuff I know, but I'd like to know what you guys think, and what you think I'd need extra. I've got a decent knife being made for me and I have a DD Frontline hammock , DD Camo tarp , DD Hammock sleeve , Dmm Carabiners (2 sets) , netted hammock coming my way soon, but apart from that, that's pretty much it!

From top to bottom, left to right:
British Army sleeping bag
Old and dirty rucksack, don't know what make or size, but it's massive and comfy!
Unsponsored underquilt
roll of paracord
'Animal' fur hat
Highlander headover/scarf
Amazon cheapo tarp
Roll of hammock tape
French army metal canteen and metal cup
Swedish Army trangia stove (with kfs and bottom-of-a-can snuffer inside)
British Army respirator bag (fits trangia and army canteen perfectly)
Basic first aid kit (looking for a better bag at the minute!)
British army water bottle and cup (cup cracked, excuse to buy the metal one!)
Web-Tex lock knife with firesteel and torch
Random knife
Random multi-tool (I'll get a better one in the future maybe)
3 torches (99p from fleabay, couldn't resist!)
Old mints tin for a portable ashtray (Don't wanna leave dimps everywhere - I smoke a LOT)
60x zoom spotting scope, just for fun
On the left is a camp bed, will keep as backup

All comments and suggestions welcome!

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
All looks like it will do the job just fine ,as for things you might need only you will know that once you have been out more
you will then see what you need, and stuff that you are simply not using

Jason

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ditto some earlier advice,
Don't feel that you have to buy all the kit before setting out on a huge expedition. You can always begin with a walk in the woods and slowly accumilate the items that you find to be necessary - rather than risk buying loads of gear and then not needing some of it.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
A warning about the torches there, they might not stand up to much abuse. I had one of those which I kept in the glove compartment of my car. After a while the glass fell out and it was useless. Presumably the vibration, these things are cheap and not well put together, so for anything you are going to rely on I would substitute it with something that won't fall apart if you drop it.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Well as you're a smoker you'll obviously be able to make fire, but for anyone else watching I'd say that fire-making kit is the one obvious omission from an otherwise very useful lineup.

Sixty times magnification is probably way more than you can use most of the time in that 'scope, you might be able to get something significantly lighter and less bulky which does just as much for you.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
LOOKING GOOOD BILLY RAY! i agree with the fire kit, you could do with a decent ferro rod and a flint and steel set to prctice your fire lighting skills, also a tinder pouch might not be a bad idea.

All in all buddy not a bad kit!

Dave

Noodoo

Aug 16, 2010
Manchester
Cheers for the replies, I know I need a few more trips out to find out what I need and don't need, and most of what I have served me well last time I went out, next time I will have all the DD stuff so I might need a few bits and bobs to tweak my set up to get it right for me, but after that I'll start looking at other things I may want/need, fire-making kit and decent torch included.
As for the mugs, the British cup I have somehow cracked last time I was out, and I saw this as an excuse and an opportunity to buy the metal French Army bottle and cup, which comes in the handy pouch that I can fix to my belt, and is slightly bigger than the British one. I just prefer the metal to the plastic really!

Again thanks for the advice and keep it coming!

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
the DD stuff will do you good, lots of fun when you get it and setting it up for the first time, in fact every time :) nothing like setting up camp.

if your happy with the french army mug stick with that and dont worry about the crusader. I have the Swedish Army Trangia and the Crusader set, but only take one of them out at at time, 95% of the time i go with the SAT but use the pastic kuska for my brews. but i am sure like most of us you will buy all the kit to find the one you like. which is all fun in it self.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
those old feather 58 sleeping bags are superb
when the swedish soldiers i worked with saw mine they all asked me to get them one.which seeing the temps they work in was a real surprise.
one tip if you are 6ft or over look at the label for a L size.

Noodoo

Aug 16, 2010
Manchester
Yeah the bag is great, I'm only 5'10'' ish so it suits me well. (Forgot to open it up before I went to sleep last time though, was a little chilly) As for the tissues I will definately remember to take some out, that's a good point!
And I'm enjoying getting little bits of kit and testing it out, I loved using my SAT for the first time and will be sticking with it for a long time methinks! Haven't used the French bottle out and about yet but I liked the look of a solid metal bottle with a metal cup, and the pouch was just an extra added bonus, looking forward to using that too!

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
also those bags are feather and need to be kept dry look for an Brit army goretex bivi i got one on the bay new at a good price.

i also just bought a snugpak sleeka jacket [new] they are superb don't pay more than £50 look for a buy it know and look in the new listings before someone else spots it.
looks like lots of returning squaddies selling desert/olive reversible ones.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/british-army-...=300536222635&ps=63&clkid=7740806822288514290

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE