My kit list

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
I am aware that there are many people out there who are fairly new to bushcraft/camping. I hope that by posting my kit list it might help others get an idea of what to pack on an over night camp. This is not a true bushcraft kitlist, and is in no way complete or final, I just thought that it mught be of interest to some people. If you have any criticisms, comments etc I would love to know. So, without further ado, here we are...

Terra nova laser 1/2 person tent

Therm-a-rest expedition mat (regular size)

Snugpak softie 6 kestrel sleeping bag

Petzl tikka plus head torch

Stove, either a mini trangia, an msr pocket rocket or a snowpeak gigapower

Fuel for the above!

Cooking pots, this varies, but is usually either a 10cm zebra billy can or a snowpeak solo cookset

Spoon, titanium or us army (I rarely take a fork on overnight trips)

Water bottle and mug, nato type

Lifesystems pocket first aid kit with extras, inc SAK, lighter, puritabs etc

Medium sized army field dressing

Survival kit

Survial blanket/bag

Firesteel and lighter (always have 2 reliable methods of burning yourself!)

Mora scout knife and opinel #8, and leatherman wave

Filter straw

Light-stick

Alcohol soap (the type that evaporates from your hands)

Water proof jacket

Buff scarf

Gloves (depending on time of year)

Hat

Sunglasses

Repair kit, inc electric tape, para cord, safety pins etc

Food! Lots!

Thats about it, I might take other stuff depending on the time of year, but that will cover about 90% of my trips. I think i have forgotten a few bits, and will add them as I remember. This isnt a true bushcraft kitlist, mainly because lighting fires etc is something that is hard to do in my neck of the woods, not to say I havent :rolleyes: . I have left out my axe mainly because without fire I have very little use for it when I'm not gathering firewood. Sometimes I sleep under home made shelter made of army ponhoes, but I havent been doing do much of that lately.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
that's more the kit i'd take on a hillwalking trip!
(minus the knife!)

lot's of expensive burnable gear, and the terranova tent! gucci or what! :eek:

you will get some comments! :rolleyes:

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
Handy thread, I was going to put a list together to check off and make sure I did not leave anything 'important'. It's cool to see what other people take :)

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Nice and basic might supply make and model of kit if you like, this is taken from a word doc I use as a check list so I dont forget any thing.

Rucksack
Map
Compass
Note Pad + Pencil
Tarp
Tent / Hammock
Sleeping bag
Kip mat
Torch + Batteries
Knife
Saw
Hat + Gloves
GPS
Mobile
Toilet Kit
Para cord
Lighter + Matches
Travel Towel
First Aid Kit
Food for Free book
Stove
Gas
KFS
Mug
Hat
Gloves
Food
Coffee

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:rolleyes: :lmao:
yup i know!

Quote:Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPPLEBY2000
that's more the kit i'd take on a hillwalking trip!
(minus the knife!)

lot's of expensive burnable gear, and the terranova tent! gucci or what!

you will get some comments!

lol, again its horses for courses,

don't get me wrong,
it's really nice gear just if i had it most would never see a bushcraft event due to not wanting to get stuff dirty/trashed, it's the reason most tend to go for ex army gear or woolens!

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
:rolleyes: :lmao:
yup i know!

don't get me wrong,
it's really nice gear just if i had it most would never see a bushcraft event due to not wanting to get stuff dirty/trashed, it's the reason most tend to go for ex army gear or woolens!
Your quite right, and to be honest, most of the time I use a combination of conventional camping gear and surplus stuff as well. A lot of it I have picked up in sales, or been given as presents (not that I'm complaining!).

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Posted my list before - But is it in the right order. feel free to arange my list in order of importance or supply you own list I the order you think is most important.

Rucksack
Map
Compass
Note Pad + Pencil
Tarp
Tent / Hammock
Sleeping bag
Kip mat
Torch + Batteries
Knife
Saw
Hat + Gloves
GPS
Mobile
Toilet Kit
Para cord
Lighter + Matches
Travel Towel
First Aid Kit
Food for Free book
Stove
Gas
KFS
Mug
Hat
Gloves
Food
Coffee

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
IMO it's horses for courses what you carry. If it works for you, and you feel happy to use it - who are we to judge?
The link James provided shows a thread with lots of lists. If you take a close look, you'll see what most of us use. It's not a 'must have list'. It's for guidance, and things that are very common, well ... they work ;).

Therefor: work out your list. Make notes on your trips and adjust your list on your next trip.
Though when making a list:
- use common sense (don't carry 10kg spuds ;)). Don't forget to Keep It Simple Stupid (K.I.S.S.).
- think if you really need it (axe or folding saw). Don't feel bad if you end up with an enormous list (you should have a look at my list for this summer). We all are on a learning curve. Some people are longer on the curve, and therefor know more, than others. There will be a day all your kit for 3 weeks on end (and more) will fit in a 30 liter rucksack.

Carry less by knowing more - yes, in the end. First thing is to actually learn! Never ever forget your safety and comfort. Because there's no need whatsoever to roughen it. Learning bushcraft should be fun!!

- also take in account the fact that the further you travel, (in general) the more you have to take with you (if I would live in the UK, my summer list would be 2 feet shorter :p)

I don't think there is a right essential order in a kitlist. It's a list, not a game.
It all depends on circumstances (or even: location) you're in. If it rains I prefer my tarp over my stove. If it's cold: my stove and sleeping bag over my compass and map. When I'm exploring (lost) my compass and map over my FAK. When I cut myself my FAK over my sleeping bag. Et cetera.

Shambling Shaman said:
Posted my list before - But is it in the right order. feel free to arange my list in order of importance or supply you own list I the order you think is most important.

You could've edit your other post.
;) :nana:

You've forgotten a canteen or some sort BTW:D

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Ahjno said:
IMO it's horses for courses what you carry. If it works for you, and you feel happy to use it - who are we to judge?
The link James provided shows a thread with lots of lists. If you take a close look, you'll see what most of us use. It's not a 'must have list'. It's for guidance, and things that are very common, well ... they work ;).

Therefor: work out your list. Make notes on your trips and adjust your list on your next trip.
Though when making a list:
- use common sense (don't carry 10kg spuds ;)). Don't forget to Keep It Simple Stupid (K.I.S.S.).
- think if you really need it (axe or folding saw). Don't feel bad if you end up with an enormous list (you should have a look at my list for this summer). We all are on a learning curve. Some people are longer on the curve, and therefor know more, than others. There will be a day all your kit for 3 weeks on end (and more) will fit in a 30 liter rucksack.

Carry less by knowing more - yes, in the end. First thing is to actually learn! Never ever forget your safety and comfort. Because there's no need whatsoever to roughen it. Learning bushcraft should be fun!!

- also take in account the fact that the further you travel, (in general) the more you have to take with you (if I would live in the UK, my summer list would be 2 feet shorter :p)

I don't think there is a right essential order in a kitlist. It's a list, not a game.
It all depends on circumstances (or even: location) you're in. If it rains I prefer my tarp over my stove. If it's cold: my stove and sleeping bag over my compass and map. When I'm exploring (lost) my compass and map over my FAK. When I cut myself my FAK over my sleeping bag. Et cetera.

You could've edit your other post.
;) :nana:

You've forgotten a canteen or some sort BTW:D

10/10 - No one thing is more or less important - if you forget it and need it then its important. :rolleyes:

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Maybe I've just been ultra-light hiking for too long, but my kit list seems to be a LOT less...

Shelter (usually a tarp, but sometimes a tent)
Groundsheet (if using tarp)
Sleeping Bag
Kip Mat
Food + Water
Knife
Book
Cook Pot (incase any of my food needs to be cooked, which it rarely does, except in winter)
Map + Compass (unless I know the area)

Mabye I'm just way too minimalist, but that is honestly all I take. It is either the same for one night or one month, the only difference being the amount of food and the addition of a wash kit and water purifier.

Jake.

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
capacious said:
Maybe I've just been ultra-light hiking for too long, but my kit list seems to be a LOT less...

Shelter (usually a tarp, but sometimes a tent)
Groundsheet (if using tarp)
Sleeping Bag
Kip Mat
Food + Water
Knife
Book
Cook Pot (incase any of my food needs to be cooked, which it rarely does, except in winter)
Map + Compass (unless I know the area)

Mabye I'm just way too minimalist, but that is honestly all I take. It is either the same for one night or one month, the only difference being the amount of food and the addition of a wash kit and water purifier.

Jake.

If you go for more than a few days, don't you pack some spare clothes? Even if it is just a pair of socks and a t-shirt... It's nice to have around on long treks IMHO.

Bjorn

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
The only extra I take is gloves and a hat in winter, and a water proof, although I usually count this as the clothes I stand up in. I forgot one item before though - an umbrella. They are the most amazingly incredible pieces of kit you could ever take with you. You only fully understand how wonderful they are if you use one. You can get a 58" brolly from JJB for £2.50.

A change of clothes is nice to have, but not necessary. I sometimes consider it if I know it's going to be really foul for long periods, but I did the entire Pembrokeshire Coast path with only one set of clothes and I was fine. If you take out all your kit, and only put in what you really need then your pack weight tends to drop dramatically :p

But I am a bit of a minimalist...

Jake.

RGRBOX

Forager
Hello Guys,

Excellent lists... I have several lists.. I'm a list nut in fact.. I'm working on lightening up my kit.. I'm looking for lighter kit, and seeing what I need and don't need. I usually carry a basic list on my of kit.. and then add what is nessesary for where I'm going...

Thanks,

Mike B.

I'll try to put together a list myself to post here...

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
I must say, no matter how bushcrafty I am feeling, I make sure I always take the ten essentials , namely:

- Pocket knife

- Matches (of the strike anywhere kind, in a match case with strike strip)
- Firelighter (hexy but a piece of rubber inner tube works well)

- Extra clothing (hat & gloves, plus I carry a space blanket)
- Food (and water: a filter bottle, plus iodine/neutraliser)

- Map
- Compass

- Torch

- Sunglasses
- First aid kit

Everything else depends on the circumstances.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE