My kit content, suggestions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

whale_omelette

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2010
north
I'v looked through loads of threads, videos and blogs and have put together my kit (still a few of these bits to buy/trade) and would like some comments/ constructive critisism please :)
I'v broken it up into the types of trip and used a layering system, basically means i'll take everything in the current section plus the stuff in the one before.

(not inc clothing because it varies, but always have a scarf for use as sling + phone)

short afternoon walk, local beach, woods, no chance of disaster/getting lost.
jet scream whistle
water bottles 2 rectangle 500ml plastic, one for dirty one for clean
first aid kit: safety pins,tweezers,coconut oil, ductape,bees wax ,diarrhea, ibrupro, savlon ,suncream ,tampons ,3 micro torches,needle threaded. (plasters just don't seem to stay stuck to me so i use ductape and tampons)
sack for collecting stuff.
food

mora knife
sas guide
pan 775ml msr stowaway
meths x 3 in energy shot bottles
mini stove (diy) and/or woodgas
spoon
wind guard
toilet roll or wet wipes
paracord 35ft
lighter
striker
pot holder/pan cleaning cloth
natural home made deodorant spray
tarp 3 x3
compass
map & map case
water purifying (aquamira frontier pro)
ration pack/flapjacks

tent (or just the tarp depending on weather)
liquid soap
tooth brush
toothpaste dots
wash cloth
sleeping bag
mirror (girly luxury!)
shampoo brush (little round brush)
80l pack

If there is something you think I need please suggest and i'll either explain why I feel I don't need it (i.e forks), i will look into it and add it to my list or equally if there is anything you consider redundant/unnecessary, thanks! :)

rg598

Native
The only thing I could say is that I would replace the wind up torch with a head lamp. Also, I didn't see anything about a sleeping pad. Be careful with the aquamira frontier pro. It does not filter as much as other regular filters. It is only 2 microns as opposed to the 0.2 of other filters. I would go with the Sawyer Mini filter. They go for about $30.

There are also some things you can remove (mostly personal care items), but that is a personal choice, and you will make your own modifications over time. Here is my beginner gear list:
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2013/10/beginners-guide-to-affordable-bushcraft.html

whale_omelette

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2010
north
I don't hunt so don't need fishing equipment or anything like that. If disaster strikes, we decend into lawlessness and I have to go all carnivore rambo in the woods i'll grab my recurve bow haha.

whale_omelette

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2010
north
The only thing I could say is that I would replace the wind up torch with a head lamp. Also, I didn't see anything about a sleeping pad. Be careful with the aquamira frontier pro. It does not filter as much as other regular filters. It is only 2 microns as opposed to the 0.2 of other filters. I would go with the Sawyer Mini filter. They go for about $30.

Brilliant, thank you.
I might buy a headlamp, it's on my 'maybe' list, would be better for walking or camping, sleeping pad also on my maybe/to buy list as i'm trying to figure out my sleeping kit.
Good advice on the water filter, I haven't bought the aqua yet!

Edit: think i'v seen your site before, will re read.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
How you tweek kit to suit the way you interact with the enviroment is the personal everlasting learning curve of bushcraft.

Personally I favor solid soap over liquid, zero risk of leakage when I sit on my pack.
[maca root shave cream from 'the body shop', SWMBO says it smells nice, good for all grubby places and washing socks]

Toothpaste tip: because toothpaste dots are gum lacerating works of evil imho :p
Fill drinking staws then seal at intervals with a hot pair of needle nose pliers or go old school with Eucryl tooth powder,
perhaps even try historical classics such as salt or soot. Never hurts to carry some dental floss as well.

For overnighters add a few tealight candles, collect any soda/beer cans you find along the way and turn them into camp lanterns. Also good for keeping the contents of a billy-can or tin mug warm without a full blown fire, giving you a head start on boiling up the morning brew or having a wash without going into ice water shock.

Good sleep mat is essential and if you're getting one from a specilaist outdoors/camping store don't be afraid to ask if you can try it out on their floor. Should you plan to go tentless regulary then a bivvy bag may also be worth investing in.

Paracord despite its apparent simplicity is actually pretty high tech kit and am always loath to cut it for any reason, it's good rope after all so for small jobs and stringing tarps I use cheap natural fibre garden twine doubled up as needed for strength.

whale_omelette

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2010
north
Spare batteries plus a packet of haribo sweets. In fact any bag of sweets would suffice.
I don't have anything that runs on batteries (aside from 3 separate mini backup torches, so no urgency there) and Sweets are covered in rations, thanks :)

Personally I favor solid soap over liquid, zero risk of leakage when I sit on my pack.
[maca root shave cream from 'the body shop', SWMBO says it smells nice, good for all grubby places and washing socks]
I'm not a fan of solid soap, but as you say, i'll see what happens when i'm out and about- I may convert

Toothpaste tip: because toothpaste dots are gum lacerating works of evil imho :p
Fill drinking staws then seal at intervals with a hot pair of needle nose pliers or go old school with Eucryl tooth powder,
perhaps even try historical classics such as salt or soot. Never hurts to carry some dental floss as well.
oo... Will have to retry my dots in a while and see if they have become ball bearings. Straws are always good, work well for mini spice kits too, would choose paste over powder as the northeasterly's would blow it away haha.
Will try salt and soot at some point in the interests of tradition!

For overnighters add a few tealight candles, collect any soda/beer cans you find along the way and turn them into camp lanterns. Also good for keeping the contents of a billy-can or tin mug warm without a full blown fire, giving you a head start on boiling up the morning brew or having a wash without going into ice water shock.
I have some 10 hour candles which i'd take for camps longer than 1 night.
good ideas with the beer cans.

Paracord despite its apparent simplicity is actually pretty high tech kit and am always loath to cut it for any reason, it's good rope after all so for small jobs and stringing tarps I use cheap natural fibre garden twine doubled up as needed for strength.
yeah, I know what you mean, I think I'll get some other string for everyday use rather than sacrificing paracord,
thanks, very much :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE