My keyboard has gone weird!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Help!
My keyboard has gone weird...
The pound symbol is now #
The " is now@ and @ is now " and no doubt other things have changed as well but I am yet to find them....
This is all since I took the laptop to Blackpool by train ...
Can some IT whizzard tell me how to revert to how it was before - normal!
Windows 10, Google Chrome, Lenovo laptop....
Please help - it is driving me mad!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Yup. Somehow you have changed the default setting for your keyboard language from English UK to English US. US keyboards swap those key functions around.

Spelling it out:
Go to bottom left of screen, where it says "Type here to search" and type in "language".
That should bring up some results, the top one being "Region & language settings".
Click that.
It should bring up a window for setting language, and have a link for keyboard settings.

If that doesn't work, come back and let us know ;)

Chris

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
In the bottom right hand side in the systray you should see the letters ENG click that and the option to change from U.S. English to U.K. English is there.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Sometimes happens to mine too, starts off the day ok but changes and frustrates me. I think it's when I fill in a form on certain websites, but I've not managed to track down which.
I usually re-boot

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Stick with the way it was, Mr Fenna. Very handy having easy access to a # for twittering

Anywise, what do you need a £ sign for? Ain't hardly worth the ink nowadays :lol:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ah - Twitter...
Purely for twits to twitter on and on and on ... as I understand it.... :)
In my life the "Hash Tag" could only ever be useful for playing very small Noughts and Crosses...
And I need as many £s as I can accrue, so having one at my fingertips is always useful!

Reactions: Billy-o

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
But Billy-o, the British keyboards have all the same letters and symbols, including #, but with the addition of £ for when you need to describe a currency that even at its lowest value in decades was still worth 25% more ink than $US. :nana:

Glad you managed to get it fixed John. I bought my mum an iMac and only later realised it was a US keyboard layout ( :censored: hardware) and it took a little doing to get the functions working for the UK, but nothing can be done about the different location/position of keys.

Reactions: Billy-o

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
We had a big round of updates at work, and this setting changed for all our keyboards, so maybe some of you have had updates installed? - I never knew about the ENG symbol at the bottom right though, a lot easier to sort out language input than the method I used!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE