My Grandfathers Axe

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
That's genius!

Well done mate. Does the job and is something special!

(And gives me an idea what use for an axe mask ;) )

Excellent thread, now, show us some action pics (feathersticks or carrots - your choice :p)

Thanks for sharing

Mike

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
That was an excellent job of yours: the original axe is still there and it can be used again!!!
What I would recommend additionally is giving the axe head (and 1" of the handle) an extended soak in a jar filled with a mixture of boiled linseed and balsam turpentine (4:1).
Leave the axe in at least for a week, the let it dry.
This gives excellent protection to the wood against the too-dry air in our contemporary housing, a real killer for any handle. A slight coating left on the steel will also prevent rust when using it outside.
A rub-down with Ballistol protects the handle as well without making it slippery.
I do this once a year with all my axes.
Read here about the numerous possibilities of taking care of wood:
http://www.dick.biz/mailing/NaturalFinishing.pdf

Sakosmith

Jun 9, 2015
Maidstone Kent
Thanks guys keep the tips coming please.:You_Rock_

Bodge

The best way to remove rust without damage is to use electrolysis. Using a battery charger and a bucket of water with washing soda in, connect the axe head to the negative terminal and a piece of steel or iron to the positive. don't let them touch in the bath. See many U-tube articled before use but it really works well on the heaviest rust. I found hanging a steel rod against the side of the plastic bucket left lots of room for the stuff. I wired the metal handle to the negative terminal and then used copper stripped of insulation at each end to connect each item individually My hammer head, axe and 2 steel rulers came out black but free of rust. the remainder was simple to clean off.

Regards

Chris

fellows

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2015
Dorset
That is a great axe refurb mate, welldone. Can i just give you a word of warning with the lanyard, (i am probably opening a can of worms for debate here) i personally would avoid having a lanyard on any chopper, especially if you are planning to put it around your wrist...if the axe slips out of your hand, the last thing you want it to do is swing (at speed) back towards your forearm and elbow!!! :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

Love the handle, head and especially the sheath. Good stuff

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Great rebuild for the sentiments, that axe will live forever. The mask is entirely right.

I would like to hear you explain to someone, anyone, how you prepare kitchen meals with an axe.
I guess a man has to practice bushcraft when they get the chance?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE