My Grandfathers Axe

Looky what I found at the back of my Dads shed.:D :D :D
DSC02192.jpg

DSC02193.jpg

DSC02195.jpg

DSC02196.jpg

This axe was my grandads on my mums side of the family. I was looking for some engine oil for my dads car when I spotted this in the shed.

I remember this axe hanging on the wall of my grandads garage/workshop when I was a kid.
He died years ago rest his soul.
It hasn't been used since it came off the wall from the workshop since he died, it's sat in my dads shed for 20 years or more.

This is going to be my new project and user from now on.

What now though?

The handle is solid at the head end but needs some attention.
I would like to keep the original handle if possible as I like the look of it and it's kinda sentimental:rolleyes:

Any ideas before I make a start.
I have access to a sand or bead blaster. I was going to use a file and my dremmel too.

Bodge:D

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I'm certainly no expert, but it looks like the eye is a bit too big for the handle... it might feel sturdy, but I wouldn't feel safe using it. Same goes for the rest of the handle really, it just looks to me like it'll be awfully dried out and probably brittle, or wet and rotten.

Other than that, I'd go at it with a stiff wire brush to get the outer layer of rust off, and then put it in something that'll remove the rust. On a small scale (screws and the like) I'll oft use lemon juice, but I don't know if that'll do for that...

Anyhoo, those are my two probably useless cents :p *waits for BR to come along...*

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Looks like a nice old hand forged axe, a great find and with extra value, it being your grand dad's.

See if the head will slide off the top, I can't see a wedge in there, I think if you add a wedge and treat well with linseed oil you could keep the handle. It's not the ideal handle but will work. Red could give you some links to making a proper hatchet handle for sure.

Don't use a sand blaster on it, Try to keep the old look. Rub with steel wool and some motor oil to get off the worst rust. Then shape the edge like Red did in the Greenman's axe thread.

Enjoy!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Bodge,

What a great find. Personally I wouldn't want to trust that handle too far. Maybe best to replace it, and use the old one as raw material for a knife handle or such?

Please don't go near it with a Dremel, it'll create way to much heat, albeit very locally. Work slowly and don't rush. At the end of it you could well end up with the best axe you'll ever own.

Have a look over at Old Jimbo's website for tips on putting her right.

Dave

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
If your goning to use that axe, you should definatelyput a new handle to it, that one has shrunk, and is a bit deformed where it enter's the head, and as has been sudgested is likely to be brittle and possibly dry rotten?. Would your Grandfather of used any axe that was less than solid and safe? Would he want you to use it in a less than ideal state? Personally I would remove the handle and keep it just as it is in a safe place for posterity sake, or maybe recycle it for someother worthwhle permmanent project as dave sugdested. Try electrolysis to remove the rust it works a treat. I use file's to remove large amount's of steel when reshaping an edge-yours has hit the concrete a fair bit (from chopping stick's??), the front point is badly worn. I hardly ever use the bench grunder nowaday's, noisy and dusty. That is a nice form of axe for trimming and shaping, you can use the tip to get into tight spots almost like a knife tip. Cheapo diamond card file's are god for refining an edge as well. Dont forget to strop for that final flourish:D

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Have a look here, it might give you ideas:
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17123
If the handle is a bit loose in the eye, you may be able to remove it by drilling out maybe 1cm of its tip at most.
It certainly looks as if the head has been moving on the handle, there is about 5mm of rusty and smooth wood behind the head. With some thin and sharp tools, remove all the debris collected between wood and head. Maybe you can hammer it out with a piece of wood.
Whatever you do, take your time, step after step, maybe post some pics after having cleaned up. then you have to decide whether this axe has to become a real user or something functional to look at only.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Maybe electrolysis on the head (no wirebrish etc) TO not to lose any (maybe faded) maker's mark??

Just my uninformed guess...

Congrats on a good find in the shed and good luck with the project. Keep us posted, and post pics :)

Mike

Cegga

Nomad
Dec 21, 2006
Sweden
cegga.spaces.live.com
Hi!!
I think that you can restore it or get a new one that modell we still do
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2772&cat=500
I love your axe as it is so I think if it was my axe I leavet like it is .Only put some linseoil on it .
And the hole are to big because your granfather use the back on the axe as a hammer .You can se the neck are deform and thats is the most wrong people do with there axes . They are not made for that :eek: .
Cegga

Hi!!
I think that you can restore it or get a new one that modell we still do
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2772&cat=500
I love your axe as it is so I think if it was my axe I leavet like it is .Only put some linseoil on it .
And the hole are to big because your granfather use the back on the axe as a hammer .You can se the neck are deform and thats is the most wrong people do with there axes . They are not made for that :eek: .
Cegga
I agree Cegga my grandad seems to have used it as a hammer. Although it may not have been my Grandad as from what I remember its always looked the same even when I was a kid.

I may take a look today if I get the time and see if the head will knock on a little further or failing that knock off.

Thanks
Bodge:)

Ok after a bit of TLC in the garage, I got the head off the shaft of the axe.
I cleaned up the axe with a fine wire brush, some wet and dry paper using WD40 as the wet.
I used a file to take down the bludgoned bit of the head and to put a blunt edge to the blade.
DSC02198.jpg

DSC02200.jpg

DSC02201.jpg

DSC02203.jpg

DSC02204.jpg

DSC02205.jpg

I examined the handle and imo it is sound. it appears to be oak and is rock hard. I sanded it back a little and slightly reshaped the top of it.

I also noticed that the top of the handle is not straight but it was obviously made like that on purpose to compensate for a slight squint in the casting of the head. when I re fixed the head back on it all squared up nicely.

I have inserted the handle all the way in now and it is just slightly proud of the head now.
It is a good tight solid fit and doesn't move.
I need to fix it permanently now but am not sure how to do this.
I feel that a kind of clear drying resin type glue might do the trick.
I still have a few hours more work on the handle and head.

Cheers
Bodge:D

Should I use some metal wedge thingies for this very purpose or somthing else?

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Well that looks a lot different doesn't it? I can't see a wedge in the handle? I'd suggest pulling the head off and then cutting a slot and inserting a wedge. That'll also tell you just how sound the handle is in the eye. I really wouldn't use glue in an axe that had sentimental value to me - I'd want to do it properly. Every time you pick that axe up it will remind you of your grandfather - do you want to also remember that you glued (bodged) the head on?

When I did my grandfathers axe, I thought that I'd be able to keep the handle but it soon cracked.

Hi.
I've finished for now with the axe and am quite pleased with it.
After earlier advise given on this thread I made a wooden wedge and fitted it this way.
I have also soaked the wood with peanut oil and it looks and feels great.

very solid and now super sharp, I got stuck into some chopping and shaving of logs and making feather sticks. I used it to slice the carrots for our evening casserole.:yelrotflm

I still had a slight gap between the shaft and axe head so put a thin slither/wedge into the gap to keep things nice and tight.

DSC02210.jpg

DSC02209.jpg

DSC02208.jpg

DSC02207.jpg

cant take it out anywhere now though coz its too sharp:eek:

Anyone care to make me an axe mask/sheath? for cash or for swaps? (not much to swap really):)

Thanks
Bodge

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
lol! Well I reckon if you can refurbish an axe you can knock up a mask!

Don't forget to keep the head oiled to stop it rusting.

lol! Well I reckon if you can refurbish an axe you can knock up a mask!

Don't forget to keep the head oiled to stop it rusting.

I've knocked up a mask for my axe so I dont need one now.
It's a slightly unorthodox design utilising a leather french ammo pouch.
If I'm feeling brave later I'll post some pics.
It does the job so it cant be that bad:eek: :eek:

Thanks for the push Mirius

Bodge

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Great little thread. Don't you just love a happy ending! :)

Just Finished restoring my dear old dad's hatchet which was in a similar condition to yours. Unfortunately the bit isn't straight and I re-helved it but I'm using a section of the old handle to make a knife. I'll be using the hatchet for the first time this weekend and even if it isn't straight I know it will do the job. There's certainly some sweet power in things 'sentimental'

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE