My first try at flint knapping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Evening all,

After rekindling (get it!) my love of flint and steel I decided to have a go at knapping some flakes for my tinderbox.

Now I’m no Will Lord but there was something primal about bashing two rocks together and making something practical in the process.

Here are a selection of small flints I managed to find locally (mostly yellow/orange) and some slightly larger ones a friend sent me from the coast.
Small hammer stone too which was the largest I could find in the garden.

b74db90369c619d3a248561ceb732f4f.jpg

I won’t say it all went perfectly but I managed some respectable flakes that give a good spark.

c4dd802357087b1b48888b60952f2706.jpg

Next step is to see if I can find a bit of antler tine and try a bit of pressure flaking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ah! I can't imagine whacking myself in the lip with a flint edge.
I don't think I'm ever quite that hungry.

But, I've seen video of Inuit using their iconic Ulu blades to slice off muktuk in their teeth.

I was gifted some flint blades, a few nearly the length of my little finger. 1" is plenty long enough.
The most lethal, dangerously sharp edges that I have ever used. Not slippery when wet, either.
Chunked up a couple of bison roasts for a braise (how paleo can I get?).
Have fun & be mindful of your finger tips.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Glad you got some. I’m happy to post if need be, it’s just the weight that’s a problem. However, for what you’re making it’s certainly possible.

Reactions: norfolknun
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
View attachment 49663 Good attempt, pressure flaking is something else. I had a go at the moot last year, and struggled to get my head around taking the flakes from the side you can't see.
After a while you get the feel for it. This is what I eventually made.
View attachment 49661

Very nice indeed, I managed one "arrowhead" however it was more luck than judgement and no pressure flaking from my side it just came out roughly triangular.

Reactions: crosslandkelly
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Ah! I can't imagine whacking myself in the lip with a flint edge.
I don't think I'm ever quite that hungry.

But, I've seen video of Inuit using their iconic Ulu blades to slice off muktuk in their teeth.

I was gifted some flint blades, a few nearly the length of my little finger. 1" is plenty long enough.
The most lethal, dangerously sharp edges that I have ever used. Not slippery when wet, either.
Chunked up a couple of bison roasts for a braise (how paleo can I get?).
Have fun & be mindful of your finger tips.

My plan is to get some practice in with making small flint flakes for a steel and gradually get a better understanding of how it breaks then hopefully move of to pressure flaking to form a small utility edge that I can handle.

Not too many nicks for my first go but they are definitely going nowhere near my face/mouth!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE