My first trip out.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Had my first trip out last weekend with my new kit (I am new to bushcrafting).

Arrived at the meeting place around 11 on Sat and phoned in, we met up and went down to the camp grounds.

Took me ages to set up my hammock as my tarp is only a bit longer than my hammock and I wanted it low, just in case.

Eventually got it centred and at the height I wanted and tried it out, I was right, the tapes broke. Re-tied and tried again, broke again.

At this point a shower blew in and I gathered my gear under the tarp and threaded 7mm paracord through the ends of the tarp.

Got the hammock back up again and this time it was ok.

Drank tea and chatted bushcraft for a while then decided to do something abouy the tarp, I re hung it 2/3 – 1/3 over the ridgeline and hung my poncho from ynder the 1/3 side to almost the ground, this worked well.

Woke up in the morning with the small of my back touching the ground, something had stretched.

Set off home around lunchtime Sun.

Had a great time and learned loads, especially about my kit, things learned :-

My sleeping bag is excellent, I was toasty all night.

I need to shape the thermal mat I put in it.

I need a bigger tarp.

May hammock needs better tapes.

I need a bigger rucksack, want to actually take less kit than I did (I was testing stuff) but I figure a rucksack doesn’t have to be full, just have the ability to hold quite a bit of stuff.

Bushcrafting is the biz.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Did you set your tarp up diagonally? That can give you better length with a hammock sometimes.

Scotmeet.jpg

Like this.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Steve R said:
Took me ages to set up my hammock as my tarp is only a bit longer than my hammock and I wanted it low, just in case.

As was mentioned, setting up the tarp in the diagonal may be the answer? or a nice big tatonka :D

Steve R said:
I need to shape the thermal mat I put in it.

I have tried foam mats in hammocks and they always tried to roll up on me or do something annoying... I now use a therm-a-rest trail 3 (cheap and v.good pack size). I always deflate it a bit to stop it ejecting from the hammock too.

Steve R said:
I need a bigger tarp.

tatonka 4m x 3m is massive and will cover you, your gear and a small county during even the worse downpour mate... if you're feeling kinky, a HH hex fly is a good solution too.

Steve R said:
May hammock needs better tapes.

Most rock climbing shops sell it by the metre... or use some cheap rope and get some seatbelts from a breakers... strong, cheap and kind to trees.

Steve R said:
I need a bigger rucksack,

I've just ordered a Karrimor Sabre 75 with side pockets as the ones I have seen are superb... very comfy, well made, massive storage and expensive! Worth it though I hope.

Anyway, how nice was it to get out there? The feeling of being unplugged from modern life, town glow and electronics is great I think!

Cheers,

Joe

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Eventually got it centred and at the height I wanted and tried it out, I was right, the tapes broke. Re-tied and tried again, broke again.

Hi Steve,nice to see your upbeat about your first trip out, there will always be times when things just seem to kick you in the butt, bushcraft can be like that every now and then,but the high's far outweigh the lows :) .

Also check out this place http://www.profabrics.co.uk/ for tapes for your hammock. I got mine from here and never had any problems with the tapes stretching or worse breaking.

Hope this helps.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Excellent news Steve,
Once the first one is out of the way, the next time out gets a lot easier, by the end of the summer you'll be a dab hand!

ATB

Ogri the trog

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ogri the trog said:
Excellent news Steve,
Once the first one is out of the way, the next time out gets a lot easier, by the end of the summer you'll be a dab hand!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Agreed ! no matter how much or what kind of kit you have and preperation you make the only way to learn and tailor your kit needs is out in the field.

"Drank tea and chatted bushcraft for a while then decided to do something abouy the tarp, I re hung it 2/3 – 1/3 over the ridgeline and hung my poncho from ynder the 1/3 side to almost the ground, this worked well.
"
The poncho idea has also worked for me several times and makes your kit dual purpose lol

Well done for getting out there ;)

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Great to hear you enjoyed your first trip out Steve. It gets better and better every time you go. After a while things like camp set-up become second nature and you just enjoy your surroundings even more.
Keep it up :)

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Thanks folks for the hints, tips, links and good wishes.

xairbourne said:
As long as you enjoyed yourself that’s the main thing.

Most definitely enjoyed it. :D

Wayland said:
Did you set your tarp up diagonally? That can give you better length with a hammock sometimes.

Never tried diagonally, intend to try that at home.

Squidders said:
I have tried foam mats in hammocks and they always tried to roll up on me or do something annoying... I now use a therm-a-rest trail 3 (cheap and v.good pack size). I always deflate it a bit to stop it ejecting from the hammock too.

I had no trouble with the mat moving, just that it is rectangular and the hammock is ‘canoe’ shaped, bunched up at each end and restricted me.

Will probably get a therm-a-rest when money allows.

Squidders said:
Most rock climbing shops sell it by the metre... or use some cheap rope and get some seatbelts from a breakers... strong, cheap and kind to trees.

I have some of that tape that is used for those ratchet strap things, that should take care of it.

Squidders said:
I've just ordered a Karrimor Sabre 75 with side pockets as the ones I have seen are superb... very comfy, well made, massive storage and expensive! Worth it though I hope.

<drool> If only I had the money.

Squidders said:
Anyway, how nice was it to get out there? The feeling of being unplugged from modern life, town glow and electronics is great I think!

Absolutely fantastic :D , even the messing about setting up, I enjoyed the learning. I have always loved the outdoors.

Stuart f,

Thanks for the link, I have bookmarked it in case my idea with the ratchet tapes doesn’t work out.

Ogri the trog said:
Excellent news Steve,

ATB

Ogri the trog

Means I have to go out more and more to practice eh? W00T! :D :D :D

dwardo said:
Well done for getting out there ;)

Thanks dwardo.

Marts said:
Keep it up :)

Oh, I intend to. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE