My First Spoon

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
My son got me a set of frosts Hook knives for christmas. this is my first attempt at a spoon made using some pine strapping that I had lying about in the shed.

spoon.jpg

cut and shaped using the hook knives and my rehandled Mora and then sanded.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I did really enjoy working through it. I want to try a Kuksa next and I've got a couple of other projects in the pipeline. The most addictive thing I've found so far has been knife making and doing the leather work for them, but the carving does run a close second.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nicely done. It's nice to sit down and carve, it chills me out so long as I don't have kids running about! I need to get out and get some wood to start carving with my new Carvin Jack.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
It was my first proper bit of carving as such, and it amazed me how much I could tell by the sound the blade was making going through the wood. whether I was going to deep or such. I got really absorbed in the whole process.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A good bit of kit for use whilst carving is a little leather thumb pad for the hand holding the spoon knife. I tend to get lots of little cuts on my thumb, none bleed as they just nick the skin but after a while they tend to get a bit sore. So, I take a piece of thick leather and cut two grooves into it. The leather needs to be slightly wider than your thumb and if you can get a piece to cover the whole thumb then all the better. If you use a small piece, cut a U shaped slit around the edge of the leather to the mid point, this you can then fold out and put your thumb into. You then have a big pad of leather on the themb with the tag holding it in place. If you have a larger pad, cut two seperate U's, one for the top of the thumb and one for the bottom.

Hope my description is clear enough, if not I'll sort a picture out.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I didn't have a problem with my thumb, it was my index finger that ended up blistered but that's just because I've not been working with my hands for ages. The way I generally use a knife cutting like that means thumb only ever hits the handle. Unless it's a Mora with that little corner of the blade sitting proud of the handle. That's why I rehandled mine.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
great spoon robby! very nice indeed! A great start to something that can be built on. from your knowledge of carving something as simple as a spoon you can progress and use those skills to make more and more complicated items. You have potential!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh nice one Rob :D

Mike visited & felled a Hornbeam that was hanging over the backpath a few weeks ago, the bits are still lying out the back if you'd like to wander by with a saw :) there's also a chunk of Oak and a fair bit of Rowan.....and the Holly could do with a mighty pruning too.

cheers,
Toddy

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Oh nice one Rob :D

Mike visited & felled a Hornbeam that was hanging over the backpath a few weeks ago, the bits are still lying out the back if you'd like to wander by with a saw :) there's also a chunk of Oak and a fair bit of Rowan.....and the Holly could do with a mighty pruning too.

cheers,
Toddy

Where's my coat........:lmao: Seriously though, I might take you up on that one.

Thanks for your comment Jon, I take that as a huge compliment from you. your green man was a work to aspire to. Superb.:You_Rock_

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
A good bit of kit for use whilst carving is a little leather thumb pad for the hand holding the spoon knife. I tend to get lots of little cuts on my thumb, none bleed as they just nick the skin but after a while they tend to get a bit sore. So, I take a piece of thick leather and cut two grooves into it. The leather needs to be slightly wider than your thumb and if you can get a piece to cover the whole thumb then all the better. If you use a small piece, cut a U shaped slit around the edge of the leather to the mid point, this you can then fold out and put your thumb into. You then have a big pad of leather on the themb with the tag holding it in place. If you have a larger pad, cut two seperate U's, one for the top of the thumb and one for the bottom.

Hope my description is clear enough, if not I'll sort a picture out.

My solution to the same problem was I just wound some sticking plaster from my first aid around the top part of the blade :lmao: I use the hook like a potato peeler left to right, and right to left (ie both edges) with either hand sometimes, swapping about at different stage's. I also use it upright in a crook knife type grip as well, so the tape is a quick easy method, it wont get lost either :lmao: (unless I lose the knife :rolleyes: )

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I've just read my post earlier and realised that I might seem a bit high handed. When I thanked Jon for his comment. I also meant to thank everyone else for their kind comments. I do hope you understand what I meant with regards to Jon though. I'm sure you will all agree his work is fantastic, but I do appreciate all your comments. (he said while trying to work out when to stop digging):eek:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It was my first proper bit of carving as such, and it amazed me how much I could tell by the sound the blade was making going through the wood. whether I was going to deep or such. I got really absorbed in the whole process.

I hadn't actually realised before now but your right about the sound thing! I tend to go by feel and sight or at least that's the perception but now you mention it, the sound is, obviously, imprtant as well.

R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE