My first spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Saturday I finished my first spoon carving project. As I am missing strength it took a while, but now I have something to show!

I used Lime wood, Mora 120 and 164. I am quite satisfied with the finished spoon (it still needs some oil), but now I realize that it is too straight to use it comfortably. But as this is my first spoon and for sure not the last one there will be enough opportunities for such improvement!

Spoon_0001.jpg

Spoon_0002.jpg

Spoon_0003.jpg

Spoon_0004.jpg

Spoon_0005.jpg

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
That is very good for first attempt. One trap I fell into that you have nearly avoided is to make the bowl of the spoon too deep - my first spoon was only really useful if you were a Tapir.

I like the shape and size of your spoon a lot.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a very good spoon - especially for a first try! When you make one that doesn't work well for eating because it's too straight, they work really well for cooking, where straight is often better..........atb mac

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hey Turnstone, thats nice, i have never completed a spoon ever worth posting a picture of, for fear of ridicule.

With my meets, i have cut literally scores of blanks, for members and showed them how to get started, and i have had some amazing results (mainly from the ladies!)

If i actually sat down and produced one like that, i would be pleased.

Ivan...

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Thank you for your comments!

@Squidders, you are right, it is almost a spoon for a Tapir :lmao:

@Macaroon, yes, I guess it will end up in the kitchen (kit)!

@Ivan just don't rush it, I am sure you can make a good looking spoon, too! If I can do it, everyone can do it. I didn't carve that in one carving session, worked on it several evenings (can't carve for very long until my hands get tired) and finished it saturday morning while enjoying the sun in the garden.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE