My first 'made' thing...

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Other than a few badly carved spoon type things, I've not really dabbled on the dark side yet :p

One thing I did fancy making was a keeper bowdrill set, and I spotted a nice burl on a fallen trunk a few months ago...
Half an hour with a silky (natures concrete, it took that long!) and a had a very rough but usable shape.

An hours work carving with an axe gave me a half tennis ball shape, a months seasoning and then a little play over the last few days with some sandpaper :)

I know its no Mona Lisa, or complicated, but it works a charm with the glued in limpet shell, cheers me up with its natural beauty and kept me out of trouble for a few hours!

2dtvk46.jpg

20s9its.jpg

y2tsh.jpg

sg69f5.jpg

ot25ph.jpg

I might just go and make something else now :)

Regards, al.

Last edited:

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
That look great! :)

Make something like a spoon/kuksa, burn the bowl in with coals from a fire made with the bow drill set :p

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I'm grateful for just a fire with the set sometimes... I learned 'keep it simple, stay there' :rolleyes:

The piccy's dont really do it justice. Its on coat 3 of linseed oil now, and looks stunning just after the coat, until it soaks in.

Time and lots of coats me thinks!

And, thanks guys :) Wait till you see my spoons, Erm... maybe not.

al.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very nice Al, I've been making to make a nice set like this for ages. That's just given me some incentive

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
first let me say what a nice idea and a very beautiful set you have there sir. is it possible for me to purge your idea with your permission of course. my problem would be of finding any kind of sea shell d I live miles away from the sea. may I ask what sort of wood are you using for your hearth board and spindle. cheers the interceptor boy.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
first let me say what a nice idea and a very beautiful set you have there sir. is it possible for me to purge your idea with your permission of course. my problem would be of finding any kind of sea shell d I live miles away from the sea. may I ask what sort of wood are you using for your hearth board and spindle. cheers the interceptor boy.

You may, with pleasure :)

Bow- Hazel, Spindle- Same, Hearth Willow (You get great char easily) and the nodule was from Birch.

If you need limpet shells, I can grab some next time I'm fishing and post them on! It may be some time though but an open offer. You can also purchase them from a well known auction site if you require them quicker.

Atb, al.

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Although its already been said, thats a cracking set!!

I'm gonna have a go and borrow your shell and burl idea, i'm off out in the woods next week so i'll keep my eye out, i have been to the area before and i know there are many sweet chestuts with burls just the right size, now i just need to find a fallen one.

my problem would be of finding any kind of sea shell d I live miles away from the sea. may I ask what sort of wood are you using for your hearth board and spindle. cheers the interceptor boy.

Let me know how many you want and i'll get them and post them to you, if any other members need any just drop me a pm, i'm not too far from the shore and could do with getting the bike out again.

Edit: sorry Al i did'nt notice your offer of shells also.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE