My First Kuska

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I have been wanting to have a go at making a kuska for a while now. I was given a silver Birch log and I had a bit of free time so I finally got round to having a go at making one.I carved it using an axe, knife and the spoon knife in the photo.
It is at the rough finish stage at the moment just needs a fine sand and oil.
Kuska3.jpg

Kuska4.jpg

kuska2.jpg

thank you for looking

Last edited:

fergus77

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2006
Portreath, Cornwall
I think thats an amazing job goodjob
Fantastic bit of work

I've trying to make a spoon for ages but it keeps ending up like a tea spoon and then kindling for the fire, just can't get a grasp of it

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Mate for a first go that is a beautiful piece of work and a fine example to us all. Did you carve the birch as green wood?

Have you got some skills that you have transfered, ie are you a craftsman or are you just very good with your hands?

The rim looks about 5mm and does this extend throught he bowl of the kuska as a some people leave them quite thick?

How long did it take to make in total?

Again, great job :)

Cheers
Craeg

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Mate for a first go that is a beautiful piece of work and a fine example to us all. Did you carve the birch as green wood?

Have you got some skills that you have transfered, ie are you a craftsman or are you just very good with your hands?

The rim looks about 5mm and does this extend throught he bowl of the kuska as a some people leave them quite thick?

How long did it take to make in total?

Again, great job :)

Cheers
Craeg

Hi Craeg

I trained as a hardwood flooring fitter but I enjoy working with my hands, I carved the the Kuska out of green wood, it is about 5mm and I have tried to make it the same thickness through out the bowl of the kuska it is a little thicker on the handle side.

It took me about 4 hours in total to get it to that stage, the main roughing out I did in one go then a little bit now and then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE