My first knife making attempt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
I thought I would share my first attempt at knife making. It is 01 tool steel scandi ground and will be handled with a piece of stabilized maple burl.

knife1001.jpg

knife1002.jpg

knife1004.jpg

knife1011.jpg

thanks for looking

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
great looking blade mate , lots better at my first attempt . it bet it will look stunning when its been handled

Thanks for the kind words! I am a machinist by trade and have a fair knowledge of heat treating but I have a new appreciation for bladesmiths! It has been fun so far,but the real fun is in the use of the finished blade made by my own two hands ! I can't wait !

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Almost finished.....needs a little more sanding and polish and I am calling it done. My first but not my last I am sure!!

DSC00558.jpg

DSC00569.jpg

DSC00568.jpg

DSC00560.jpg

DSC00564.jpg

Last edited:

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Nice work! Very well done. I was hard pressed to glue scales on an Enzo myself. Obviously you are far more talented than I. Cheers

Dirac

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Abbotsbury
That is looking supremely good man, well done. That wood has a lovely grain and the rivets (not too sure what they are properly called!) are really cool. Great attention to detail :)

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Dude if thats your first attempt i'm looking forward to seeing your second!

That is a very very nice piece of work, that anyone on here would be proud to own i would say

Well done

Dave

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Hi,
I wasnt too keen on the lower finger guard when i seen it on your blank, but after you've tinkered with it and put those lovely scales on it i love it!! very nice knife mate, hope you get years of pleasure out of it!!

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Nice work! Very well done. I was hard pressed to glue scales on an Enzo myself. Obviously you are far more talented than I. Cheers

Like the saying goes......Nothing ventured, nothing gained.....give it a go and I am sure you will surprise yourself!! I credit the finished product to all the posts I have read on Bushcraft UK. I was prepared to buy a knife but thought I would have a go and I am glad I did. Thanks for all the great comments!! I think I will order a chunk of 01 tomorrow and get started on #2 as soon as this one is done.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Hi,
I wasnt too keen on the lower finger guard when i seen it on your blank, but after you've tinkered with it and put those lovely scales on it i love it!! very nice knife mate, hope you get years of pleasure out of it!!

Agreed, I was of the same opinion of the guard......happy with it now and it fits my hands perfect. I have some better pics of the scales I will upload later.....pictures don't do them justice though. Thanks for the comment!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE