My first knife from the start

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 23, 2005
I made about 20 knives from blades made by different manufacturers, but this is my first one I completly made by myself..

I always wanted big chopper in Hudson Bay pattern, but I was never able to afford it, at least ones I realy like, like Idahoknifeworks one. So only way for me was to make my own, and I incorporated all tircks I learned about big blades from reprofiling Ontario machetes, and playing with Valiant Golok Potong, or Bark River knives.

PIC_0022a.jpg

PIC_0025ab.jpg

It started as a round bar of 52100, and a friend power hammer it to a flat bar, machined it down to 0.330" thickness, normalized and anealed, and than I grinded of anything surplus with small angle grinder with sanding pad, and small belt grinder I own.. Than it went to same friend for heat treating, and he did it differentialy, 52 HRC back and 61 HRC a 2 cm wide strip behhind the edge. Finishing it was a easy job on belt grinder with regular cooling in water bucket.

It have 9" long blade, now 0.300 thick, 2" wide, and a stripled maple handles, contured so that they are wery safe in use, even in strongest swings.. Blade is full height convex. If you look carefuly, there is hammon line on bottom picture.

I only need to make a sheath for it, to finish this project, and to move to smaller knives I plan next.

Bogdan

Jun 23, 2005
Thanks Guys..

It is little too thick for the kitchen, but it definitly can double as a clever, but it can serve that part well in camp..

I never had big, heavy knife, beside Golok Potong, and wanted to see if I can make it, and how good it will work. It was a chalenge, and I got it, that makes me wery proud.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE