My first hot wax job

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Sorry no pics.

I ordered a leather Mora sheath, melted a beeswax candle, used a toothbrush to coat the sheath, and the oven to heat both the bare sheath and the waxed sheath. I used three coats, heating it each time; the third time I used paper towel to wipe off excess wax before putting the knife in and letting it cool.

The leather turned a very nice dark brown and is quite stiff. There is some lighter bits on the inside belt loop where the wooden spoon blocked the heat a bit. I only waxed the belt loop once (both inside and out) because I did not want it to be too stiff for neck carry.

Hot waxing is a cheap but lovely way to stiffen, water resistant, and give a stained look to leather sheaths. The one candle cost me $1.50.

Now I need to wear it for a few months and see if it needs more waxing.

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
Hi OhCanada,

I also had a go at hotwaxing a sheath I bought on ebay, I bought it unfinished so I could wet mould it to my knife and then hot wax it, I was going to dye it first but glad I didn’t as I like the natural look.

I have managed to upload a pic to the gallery section but couldn't work out how to link it to this reply :confused:

P@ul

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I'm doing some small-scale cleaning up in preperation for some small-scale dipping and the fumes are certainly a euphoric. A very nice material to work with. :)

wax_1.jpg

wax_2.jpg

wax_3.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE