My first hedgerow chair.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
My first hedgerow chair. :D

Mainly Ash and Hazel and some Elder.

It has a hook/holder for a lamp and a walking stick. Now under my Cherry tree for reading when the weather gets warmer.

Thanks for looking

14.jpg

21.jpg

Wettstuff

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2005
Ascot
Nice bit of work there, just goes to show with bit of graft what you can do, i bet people would pay a pretty sum for that in a fancy garden centre.
How is it held together? did you use nails and screws or just cordage?

Cheers Mark

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Nice bit of work there, just goes to show with bit of graft what you can do, i bet people would pay a pretty sum for that in a fancy garden centre.
How is it held together? did you use nails and screws or just cordage?

Cheers Mark

I was going to use cordage - and to be honest it might have been easier and look better. But I had some of those grippy nails...the temptation was too great (it was windy and raining)! I think it is quite stiff as a result. I don't know if cordage would make the frame a little slacker - over time. Will try out next time.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Champion job there LBL I have done a few like that but with round mortise and tennons. Did U see Daniel Mack's book of rustic furniture? Very inspirational. Did U pre drill the nail holes and did U have any bother with pole ends splitting when you nailed them? Cordage would be superb, even with holes for to thread the cord's through to lash it (like the Umiak or kayaq builder's do) Did U go round the garden trimming bits here and there, I did I cut a few hawthorn poles out the hedge the neighbour wasnt too happy but then he cut the top off it last year so now were even:D

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Champion job there LBL I have done a few like that but with round mortise and tennons. Did U see Daniel Mack's book of rustic furniture? Very inspirational. Did U pre drill the nail holes and did U have any bother with pole ends splitting when you nailed them? Cordage would be superb, even with holes for to thread the cord's through to lash it (like the Umiak or kayaq builder's do) Did U go round the garden trimming bits here and there, I did I cut a few hawthorn poles out the hedge the neighbour wasnt too happy but then he cut the top off it last year so now were even:D

I'll track down that book. Thanks. It was my first. Now I need to refine it - mortice and tennon sounds good - as does drilling and cordage threaded through. I did indeed predrill the holes so the wood would not split. I reckon I don't need to make it so heavy if I get the structure right. In that way I can make more elegant furniture. But practice makes perfect - as with everything.

The wood came from a local wood. I don't know if my garden would yield the right volume of material...but you never know....

LBL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE